Tablesaw Safety Pusher

Stuart Ablett

In my >> Making a Wooden Mallet << thread, Rob asked for some more pics etc of the pusher I use on my tablesaw.

I got the idea off the web, I cannot honestly remember where :eek: If I got it from someone here, speak up, as this is a good simple pusher for the table saw, nice and safe too! :thumb:

My old pusher was getting fairly chewed up, so I decided to make a new one and take some pics.

old_pusher_1.jpg old_pusher_2.jpg
That is the basics of the old pusher, not much to see, it gets chewed up and after a while, you need to replace it.

old_pusher_3.jpg
When the time comes to replace the shoe of the pusher, just two screws and it is off, ready for the waste bin.

new_pusher_components.jpg
These are the basic components, yes, it is that simple :D

I like using MDF for this, as it has no real grain like wood or plywood can.
new_pusher_1.jpg new_pusher_2.jpg

I use CA glue, the thicker stuff, for this kind of thing, it is strong and quick, but if you have the time, regular old white glue will work fine, just make sure you clamp it well.

I know that with the length of screws I use to keep the handle attached, I can easily bury the saw blade into the show a good 1/4" and never even sort of come close to hitting the screws.

Is this for every tablesaw job, no, is it as good as that GRRR-riper thing, no, I doubt it, but is only cost me a couple of pieces of scrap, and about 10 minutes, so I like it :thumb:

Cheers!

Stu:

I'm really not trying to suggest anything this once, but if you suffered a moment of gross stupidity, is there enough meat to your block to protect your hand if you went from using the blade all the way up (or close - say you were just ripping some 4 by 4's) to ripping 3/4" wood while forgetting to lower the blade?