Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning stuff

Learning stuff

Has anyone ever taken a workshop (3-5 day) at Craft Supply? Being mostly self taught, I'm really think some of the bad or non-existent habits could go away.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I've never taken a course, but just watching a demo by a pro once taught me a lot...of course I'm probably back to my bad habits now since that was over a year ago.

If the cost seems right, I'd say go for it.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Nope, rather get a few vids and pratice. It is much cheaper and you can work at your own pace.

Jim , furthering education in any vocation is always a good thing weather you study on your own through types or in a classroom setting. I have taken many hours of class/hands on studies. I like the interaction with others students and on spot instructions. I get allot from other students questions that I did not think of.

At 55 I'm still leaning and if something comes along I want to learn a classroom is fast. The pro's usually give good tid-bits not shared in types.

While one can certainly learn from videos; classroom, hands-on instruction, matched with networking with others of mixed experience levels can be very effective.

David said, "At 55 I'm still leaning......."

At 70, I'm leaning more than you.
    Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself.

Frank I hope to still be learning and have to desire to too when I'm an ol Fart

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    Frank I hope to still be learning and have to desire to too when I'm an ol Fart
    Heck, I just hope I live to be an old fart

I have to agree that the DVDs and such are great, I know I have a modest collection but hands on cannot be beat, especially if you luck out and have a good, or great teacher.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Read about it and sure have thought about doing the same and taking the shop classes.........but self taught also from this site and others but what i think helped me the most is buying some DVD's (Grumbine's both of them, Tibbits, and Raffan). Each one has something to offer and i can watch them over and over and practice trial and error - have learned alot this way - same thing with the tool grinding video's from Oneway and Jet........
    Lastly, before i opened my wallet and bought the video's i watched (and still do) U-tube videos on wood turning.........always learning something.
    I have some books on turning but i find the videos helped me the most.

Dan

I have also amassed a bunch of DVD's and video's. They are great for me because of the distances I would have to travel for a class. So I am pretty much self taught. My son did treat me to a class in Richmond twice in the last two years. One by Larry Hasek and one by Al Stirt. Al showed me a couple of different ways of presenting a gouge to the wood and it really changed things for me. Larry showed a couple of things in doing HF's that changed the way I do things. Interaction with different turners of all skill levels is also amazing. So if I had a place close I would prefer hands on. You can get questions answered and will be shown how to do cuts, etc. right there. IMHO if you have a chance Jim I would jump on it.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.