Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: base idea scratched, breadboards were a failure!

base idea scratched, breadboards were a failure!

If I make a base for a coffee table like this picture(sorry for the rough sketch)
    measurements arent exact yet, just estimates.
    I want to allow for movement since the top will be glued up maple or ash, not sure yet, and Id prefer to not have any type of clips exposed to view.
    The top will be approx 24x56.
    If I just put floating tenons? in the stretcher, mortise them only into center board of top, will that be enough to hold the top down if table is lifted by top?
    I thought about boring into the bottom of the stretcher, but if the top is only 1 inch or less thick, theres not alot of wood to grab.
    Its a learning process for me. I dont want to use a standard apron and legs.
    any help would be appreciated.
    Pocket joints would be exposed, dont want to put plugs in if I can prevent it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 776 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 05-04-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Allen they make something called a figure 8 cause it looks like an 8. You mortise out on top of the legs and fasten it with a screw , place your top on and fasten it down with the other hole but don't make the screws tight to allow for movement. I'll try to find a picture of one for you.

Highland woodworking has them. just look under figure 8 tabletop fasteners. Package of 12 for like 3 bucks.

hi allen! based on your measurements in the sketch, i did it up quick in sketchup. i went with a width of 8 inches for your cross brace, and added 2 inches in length for the stopped dovetails. the stopped dovetails are 6 inches, and the remaining 2 inch overlap hides the end of the stopped dovetail dado nicely. i went with the dovetails because they are a good strong joint. as for attaching the top, i'm kind of iffy about that, since in the sketch, you only have 8 inches supporting a top that would be 24 inches wide. to me, that would be a fairish amount of stress on the glue joint. here is what i came up with, with measurements, and exploded. hope that will help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails allen coffee table.jpg   allen coffee table 2.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

nice sketch dan, looks pretty much what base Im looking for.
    Alan, I have a box of the z-clips. they work like the figure 8 clips.
    Im thinking there might not be any other way to attach it firmly, eitherfigure 8 or z style clips.(just didnt want anything exposed on underside either, since none of the underside is really hidden)
    just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything or some secret.

only other way i can think of to attach the top, is to borrow from breadboard ends, and drill a couple of elongated holes on each end, secure the top with something like a lag screw, or panhead type of screw, then cover up the opening with a decorative insert.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

if you use dovetails you could run a female on the cross member and screw a male in the bottom of table top. made it the same lenght as the exposed crossmember and when you slide it down in the legs it stops left/right and up/down movement plus lets you take it apart.

putting screws at different locations to secure the dovetail to bottom, will that allow all the wood movement Id need?

Just keep them evenly spaced over the top...they'll hold it down

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bags.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    putting screws at different locations to secure the dovetail to bottom, will that allow all the wood movement Id need?
    Put one screw in the center and the screws on the ends just elongate the holes and when you insert the screws don't tighten them just snug them up to allow movement.