Here's some photos of a the plane hammer I finished up last night.
The 1" dia brass head weighs about 4 oz and is faced with a "plug" of end grain bubinga on one side. The end of the brass head with the bubinga has a 7/16" hole drilled in it. The bubinga plug was turned a bit over sized and featured a tenon on the back to match the hole in the brass. Then it was epoxied in place and the assembly turned smooth. The 3/8" dia hole for the handle was drilled with a milling machine and a "V" centering jig back when I cut the stock to length.
The handle is hickory and is about 9" long. It was turned to shape and then shaped with a spoke shave, rasp, and sandpaper. The wedge in the handle is also hickory and was glued into a slot in the end of the handle after I installed the hammer head. The wedge really does a great job of making the hammer feel very solid.
I signed my name using a wood burning pen (another useful relic from my wood turning days!) and the handle was given several coats of Danish oil.
I tried it out on a coffin smoother and was very pleased with the feel. It allows me to adjust it a lot finer than the rubber/urethane hammer I was using before.
Overall I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. I had a couple false starts when I first began this project but all in all it came out the way I wanted.
Thanks for viewing!