Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any outdoor movie fanatics?

Any outdoor movie fanatics?

Although I have a very small, tiny actuallyproperty, we all enjoy watching movies outdoors on a 10 foot screen now that the warm weather is here.
    we can hook up a dvd to the projector, and mount the projector outside and its like a drive in movie.
    although this is better,(high definition) open bar, food at your fingertips, bbq, baked ziti,any tray foods, snacks, popcorn, candy, anything to make you happy, and we can run 2 movies at night till 1 am, or hook up the Wi system and all the kids love to play the games, especialloy the action games on a ten foot screen.

Ive used pressure treated lumber for the screen frame, and pvc material for the screen surface, plastic white tarp.
    this year, we decided to sink some pipe into the ground,as pole holders, and just build a screen out of 3-4 inch pvc piping, sliding it in when we need it, a few screws, some t's some elbows, and were set. we hook the screen onto the frame with bungee cords.

we figure the cost around 100 bucks, maybe a bit more for all th supplies.

then we discovered something last night I thought Id share with any other outdoor movie fans.
    the borg and walmart type stores sell 12 foot inflatable screens for under 200 dollars. Has its own blower attached, like an inflatable bed, can be stored in a duffle, and best of all, can be set up anywhere.!!!!

gonna go with the blow up screen, Ill let anyone interested know how it works out.

Wow that sounds great Allen.
    A drive-in with no driving necessary.
    92.4 °F today in the Washington, DC area.
    Last edited by Frank Townend; 04-25-2009 at 08:21 PM.

OK, I know a little about Long Island. How are you keeping the mosquitoes from carrying your gusts away?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

We've done it a few times by using the garage door as the screen. Just put the projector on the tailgate of the truck. Had a good time doing it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

rennie not really bad unless very humid and hot.august, not so bad.

darren, my son laid underground speaker wires for this summer, when the electrician had the trench open for the electric line, my son ran cable.
    He hooks 3 nice size speakers up at screen, and 2 more in back of audience(hehehehe, at the back of my house), for the surround sound effects.
    WEre good with sound till about 10:30 or so, then I make him turn it down a bit.
    I watched the world series two years ago whenit was raining outside here, we sat under a tent.
    I wanted to make a superbowl party outdoors if the giants got it, but most of my friends told me Im nuts if I think they are going to stand outdoors in feb and watch the game. so that idea got crushed pretty fast.

Chez' Levine is stylin . . .

We might need to start a thread "FWW Cribs!" modeled after the MTV and CMT (Country Music Television for you Country music challenged folks) shows.

I can only respond with a hammock and landscape speakers in a shady portion of the back yard. Stereo only, no surround sound!

Allen - how big is your property? Do you have close neighbors or are they there drinking beer with you during the movie?

When's the First Annual FWW Video Marathon - featuring the completed DVD's of David Marks and Norm of NYW?

Cheers

Jim

neighbors, well, uh.......the only one Im a bit concerned about and make sure we dont disturb her is the one in back of me. Ive never said more than 20 words to her other than mentioned she keeps a great garden, and once she asked me if I minded if she cut away parts of my tree that hung low in her yard, ofcourse I told her not at all, and she had a crew cut down more than 1/2 of at least a 60 y/o tree.
    I make sure the light doesnt shine past the screen into her back door.
    And we usually only use the big screen on a saturday night, so we dont disturb anyone during the week.
    Noone has complained.
    The neigbhor on the near side of me, is an elderly lady, Id guess 90 percent deaf cause she doesnt hear me when I yell to her from 10 feet, but if she said anything out of respect cause shes a great person, Id shut it off on her request.And the other neighbor, rules prevent me from discussing what I think of him.
    Most other people on my street, have open invites and come over if they are free and home.
    I have a very small property, around 45x105? yep, Long Island, thats all I can afford out here. Taxes are killers.(my daughter has friend up in the buffalo area of ny, amherst, lockport, etc.......they have properties the size of my zipcode.it always amazes me when its really not farm land.

Sounds like fun.. haven't been to an outdoor movie since I was stationed on Guam in 1961-62... We always checked to see what the cartoon was going to be, then put on our swim trunks and raincoats... it seemed like it always rained if it was a good movie.
    Today we probably would get arrested for being perverts if we went to the movies dressed like that.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Sounds like fun.. haven't been to an outdoor movie since I was stationed on Guam in 1961-62... We always checked to see what the cartoon was going to be, then put on our swim trunks and raincoats... it seemed like it always rained if it was a good movie.
    Today we probably would get arrested for being perverts if we went to the movies dressed like that.
    Sounds like Hilo to me!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

I wanted to show a picture.It came, we inflated it. This is what it looks like. (I know, I need to buy a bigger house)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 786 (Medium).jpg