Just a little braggin'

Chuck Ellis

We had our first annual art show in the art group my wife and I belong to. It's mostly a painting group, but I joined with my 3-D art when the wife joined with her painting... We had about 22 artists with 3 pcs each, plus several student artists from the local college where we held the show.

I entered the 3 pcs below in the 3-D category. The artists voted on various categories on the artwork and I was voted best in category for my bowl in the 3-D category(And I only had to vote for myself twice :rofl::rofl:).
I won a gift certificate to a local art supply store.. LOML will get to use it, they don't have much for wood turners.

One of the students was a little boy who is autistic and attends some special classes at the college... he is quite the artist.. he won in the student category against some talented young artists. He's only 6 and quite the cute kid.

Attachments

• 10-557-2.JPG
    10-557-2.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 42
  • 40-551-2.JPG
    40-551-2.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 28-716-2.JPG
    28-716-2.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Chuck, that is something to brag about....great work. Any pics from the show of the other contestants work?

My company does an art show a couple of times a year they call "Art from the cube" (cubical). They finally started allowing 3d and we've seen some pretty cool pieces the last couple of times. They have the display up at one of our buildings or at the local Union Station (Kansas City), but for voting they have an internal website for associates to vote for their favorites.

Chuck, that is something to brag about....great work. Any pics from the show of the other contestants work?

Sorry to have taken so long... It got decreed that I WOULD put in the shrubs we bought a couple of weeks ago.. I put in 17 shrubs this afternoon... let me tell you, my body is dragging certain parts of the anatomy.. I'm getting too old for this..

Anyway, here are the pictures my wife took and kept. She had to take some are taken a little off angled to keep the glare from overhead lights and such, plus she uses her camera with only one hand. She walks on a cane right now until the doctor releases her. She just had hip surgery in January.

I think these were the winners of the judging, but I don't know the categories right now. The little boy in the winners picture won best for students... he's an autistic and takes some special courses at the college... he's 6 years old and very talented artist. We didn't get a picture of his painting..

Attachments

• AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 001.jpg
    AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 001.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 10
  • AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 003.jpg
    AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 003.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 9
  • AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 007.jpg
    AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 007.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 9
  • AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 012.jpg
    AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 012.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 9
  • AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 013.jpg
    AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 013.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 9
  • AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 016.jpg
    AAMC 2009 Spring Art Show 016.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 14
Just a little braggin

HEY you gotta right to brag ,big time :thumb::thumb: That some beautifull bowls,love that holly ,was gonna post a pic of mine till I saw yours.Those paintings are beautifull too. :)

HEY you gotta right to brag ,big time :thumb::thumb: That some beautifull bowls,love that holly ,was gonna post a pic of mine till I saw yours.Those paintings are beautifull too. :)

Ken,
Go ahead and post your holly... I have a few pieces from a tree that I trimmed up I need to work... it may already be too late on the holly..

The goblet isn't holly, it Photinia (Red Tip shrubs) we had 3 at the end of the house and I had to trim them when we first moved in... the goblet is from one of the limbs I cut off.... Last month I had to take all three down, they got some kind of leaf fungus which they are prone to do anyway and all three died. They were the height of the house and one was over a foot at the base. Really nice hard, tight grained wood. I have it stacked under the shop drying some.. looking forward to working it up.