Finished my Second Bowl

Les Elm

Tiger Maple finished with 6 coats of Minwax Satin Wipe-On-Poly and polished with Hut Ultra Gloss. Measures 6-1/2" X 2-1/4" with 1/4" wall thickness through out.

Still don't have the correct chisels for bowl turning. Used my 3/4" roughing gouge and 1/4" round nose scraper. Will have to get the proper chisels for bowl turning on my next visit to LV.

As always comments and or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Tiger Maple Bowl Blank (Medium).JPG
    Tiger Maple Bowl Blank (Medium).JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Mounted On Headstock (Medium).JPG
    Mounted On Headstock (Medium).JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Tiger Maple - Six and a Quarter X Two (Medium).JPG
    Tiger Maple - Six and a Quarter X Two (Medium).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Tiger Maple Bottom (Medium).JPG
    Tiger Maple Bottom (Medium).JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Tiger Maple Foot (Medium).JPG
    Tiger Maple Foot (Medium).JPG
    48 KB · Views: 31
Nice-looking work, Les. :thumb:

By the way, I've been busy and haven't had the time to comment on each of your recent posts, but you're doing some very nice work. Welcome to the forum. :wave:

By the way, if you're shopping for a bowl gouge, these are hard to beat at any price:

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/

Then you can add a handle from Randy at Monster Tools. He's got a "buy two get one free" special going on right now:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13907

:D

Opinion - if you decide to buy one of the handles, I would take Monster's deal that Randy is offering. I have one and I have a Oneway. The Oneway has both a 1/2 and 5/8 on each end for securing your tool. Monster has both you can buy but only one hole drilled in one of the ends (you have to tell him if you want 1/2 or 5/8).
I find the handle from Monster to be a much nicer handle and more fun to use. It simply seems to be a much better made handle and the price right now is a good bargin.............

Last edited:
Great looking bowl Les. I would be extremely careful using a spindle roughing gouge on a bowl. My neighbor used one and had a catch which put 13 stitches in his hand.

I will attest to the handles by Randy Privett. I have one of his and will be getting some more. They are comfortable and well balanced. The Thompson gouges IMHO are second to none.