Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you make 1/4 inch wood LOL

How do you make 1/4 inch wood LOL

OK so I am a real beginner, and this is probably a simple question but:

I bought a book on making boxes, and the first box is very simple except for that fact that it is calling for 1/4 inch thick wwod.
    I have made quite a few things so far but most have been made with 3/4 inch stock that I did not have to rip.

I have a table saw and and Band saw, I do not have jointer or a planner.

What is the best way to make these 1/4 inch peices for this small box?

The largest peice is 5 1/8 X 3 1/8 so it is a very small box.

Not sure what material I will make it out of, I probably have some scrap poplar that I can use or I can get some red Oak or other harder wood.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Dan
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Thibert View Post
    OK so I am a real beginner, and this is probably a simple question but:

I bought a book on making boxes, and the first box is very simple except for that fact that it is calling for 1/4 inch thick wwod...I have a table saw and and Band saw, I do not have jointer or a planner.

What is the best way to make these 1/4 inch peices for this small box?...Dan
    Dan,
    Since you have a bandsaw, and the pieces are only three, or so, inches wide, you should be able to easily resaw the " stock to get two pieces of quarter inch

Do you have a hand plane? For such small pieces, even a little block plane will do.

If no plane at all, then you'll have to resort to sanding. Wrap the paper around a block of wood, and have at it. Start with 60 or 80 grit, and work up to 220, being careful not to take too much off the edges or corners.

It's all extra work, but easily doable.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Bandsaw would be best. But, it would have to be a good bandsaw with a proper fence and blade. If all is not right with those, you will end up with a mess.
    Planing down would work but taking off 1/2" of wood would be wasteful.
    I have seen nice items made from panelling. And you would not have to finish the outside when done.

without a planer or a hand plane, then I would not see any point in resawing wood, either on the bandsaw or on the tablesaw. The finish you get from resawing is not ready-to-finish.

Lee Valley sells project wood in 1/4" thicknesses. I'm sure that other stores do as well. Yes, it is expensive, but it is available. I think I've seen similar project wood at Home Depot before, or maybe another Borg.

...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I have a 14 inch Crafstman band saw with a 1/4 inch blade in it.

I quess it would certainly be claener to find the wood already cut to 1/4 inch. Maybe my local Woodery has some? I tend to doubt it but worth a call.

Thanks
    Dan
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Maybe another woodworker close would run some you roughed out on the bandsaw through his/her planer? Just a thought. Or maybe the place you buy your wood from would plane it for you. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Maybe another woodworker close would run some you roughed out on the bandsaw through his/her planer? Just a thought. Or maybe the place you buy your wood from would plane it for you. Jim.
    Jim hit on my thoughts. MA is a long way from CA but I would be glad to joint plane, re-saw and re-plane some material for you but, the shipping would make this a little unreasonable. I just milled down some lumber to create a bunch of 1/2" walnut, cherry and beech for some boxes I have coming up.

If there is a member close by with the right tools it is a small effort and would be a great contribution to a fellow member. If all else fails, you can buy thin stock from a few different suppliers.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

The place I buy my wood from will rip and or plane the wood, but even they said it would be expensive.

I am starting to think that trying to rip the wood via the band saw, or the table saw is worth a try. I gather I can make a fence for the band saw by simply clamping a peice of wood to the table. I have a ton of scrap wood to see if this can work.
    I am gathering that ripping the wood via the table saw is most likey to dangerious, so I think that is my last resort.
    I am in a spending freeze so I have to work with what I have

The box is to be a gift for my grand-daughters first communion so I would like it to be nice.

I will figure something out, I have till the 16th to have it done

Thanks
    Dan
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Hello Dan,

When I lived in Massachusetts the Home Depots there sold 1/4" stock in red oak, maple, poplar and maple.

Cheers
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Thanks Dan I will look

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gonzales View Post
    Hello Dan,

When I lived in Massachusetts the Home Depots there sold 1/4" stock in red oak, maple, poplar and maple.

Cheers
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA