How do you make 1/4 inch wood LOL

Dan Thibert

OK so I am a real beginner, and this is probably a simple question but:

I bought a book on making boxes, and the first box is very simple except for that fact that it is calling for 1/4 inch thick wwod.
I have made quite a few things so far but most have been made with 3/4 inch stock that I did not have to rip.

I have a table saw and and Band saw, I do not have jointer or a planner.

What is the best way to make these 1/4 inch peices for this small box?

The largest peice is 5 1/8 X 3 1/8 so it is a very small box.

Not sure what material I will make it out of, I probably have some scrap poplar that I can use or I can get some red Oak or other harder wood.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

I bought a book on making boxes, and the first box is very simple except for that fact that it is calling for 1/4 inch thick wwod...I have a table saw and and Band saw, I do not have jointer or a planner.

What is the best way to make these 1/4 inch peices for this small box?...Dan

Dan,
Since you have a bandsaw, and the pieces are only three, or so, inches wide, you should be able to easily resaw the ¾" stock to get two pieces of quarter inch

Do you have a hand plane? For such small pieces, even a little block plane will do.

If no plane at all, then you'll have to resort to sanding. Wrap the paper around a block of wood, and have at it. Start with 60 or 80 grit, and work up to 220, being careful not to take too much off the edges or corners.

It's all extra work, but easily doable.

Bandsaw would be best. But, it would have to be a good bandsaw with a proper fence and blade. If all is not right with those, you will end up with a mess.
Planing down would work but taking off 1/2" of wood would be wasteful.
I have seen nice items made from panelling. And you would not have to finish the outside when done.

without a planer or a hand plane, then I would not see any point in resawing wood, either on the bandsaw or on the tablesaw. The finish you get from resawing is not ready-to-finish.

Lee Valley sells project wood in 1/4" thicknesses. I'm sure that other stores do as well. Yes, it is expensive, but it is available. I think I've seen similar project wood at Home Depot before, or maybe another Borg.

...art

I have a 14 inch Crafstman band saw with a 1/4 inch blade in it.

I quess it would certainly be claener to find the wood already cut to 1/4 inch. Maybe my local Woodery has some? I tend to doubt it but worth a call.

Thanks
Dan

Maybe another woodworker close would run some you roughed out on the bandsaw through his/her planer? Just a thought. Or maybe the place you buy your wood from would plane it for you. Jim.

Jim hit on my thoughts. MA is a long way from CA but I would be glad to joint plane, re-saw and re-plane some material for you but, the shipping would make this a little unreasonable. I just milled down some lumber to create a bunch of 1/2" walnut, cherry and beech for some boxes I have coming up.

If there is a member close by with the right tools it is a small effort and would be a great contribution to a fellow member. If all else fails, you can buy thin stock from a few different suppliers.

The place I buy my wood from will rip and or plane the wood, but even they said it would be expensive.

I am starting to think that trying to rip the wood via the band saw, or the table saw is worth a try. I gather I can make a fence for the band saw by simply clamping a peice of wood to the table. I have a ton of scrap wood to see if this can work.
I am gathering that ripping the wood via the table saw is most likey to dangerious, so I think that is my last resort.
I am in a spending freeze :eek: so I have to work with what I have:huh:

The box is to be a gift for my grand-daughters first communion so I would like it to be nice.

I will figure something out, I have till the 16th to have it done :doh:

Thanks
Dan

Dan, I suggest you post a new thread in general woodworking looking for "woodworker near leominster ma needed"

If I was nearby, I'd be glad to help you out. I'm sure a nearby Creeker would feel the same, you just have to find one.

Ken

I bought a book on making boxes, and the first box is very simple except for that fact that it is calling for 1/4 inch thick wwod.
I have made quite a few things so far but most have been made with 3/4 inch stock that I did not have to rip.

I have a table saw and and Band saw, I do not have jointer or a planner.

The largest peice is 5 1/8 X 3 1/8 so it is a very small box.

Not sure what material I will make it out of, I probably have some scrap poplar that I can use or I can get some red Oak or other harder wood.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the same equipment and here is how I would do it.
Rip your 3/4 lumber 3-1/4 wide. Set your TS fence 9/32 with the blade raised 1-1/2. Make a re-saw cut then rotate the piece and make a second cut to center the kerf. Then flip the piece end for end and repeat. After these cuts, go to the band saw and finish the re-saw free hand. This will leave about a 1/4" irregular ridge in the center to work down with a hand plane and approx. a 1/32 Xtra thickness to sand or plane. If those two surfaces aren't just perfect (which mine usually aren't) they go to the inside of the box. If felt or other material lines the inside of the box no body knows except me.

I've done this many times but always refresh my skills on scrap wood. Oh, but wait, scrap wood is all I have.:rofl:

Last edited:
1/4" wood

Hi Dan, It sounds like you are going to have a problem cutting your 1/4" wood. If you want to pay for the shipping I will provide & cut the wood for you. I have Pennsylvania Wild Cherry, Mahogany, Spanish Cedar, Poplar, & others I can't remember right now. I would be glad to pay the shipping also but it is impossible for me right now. If this is OK with you get my E-Mail address from my file and we can get the details worked out. Thanks Dan, Joe

We were at the local borgs last night shopping for kitchen flooring. While there I looked at some paneling and thought about you. Call me lazy, but that is sure the way I would go. No fuss or bother, just make the thing.
BTW, we ended up purchasing from an independant store. But, I digress.

Dan

Lowes and HD sell 1/4 inch oak. Other than that here is what I suggest :

Buy a Freud Thin Kerf Rip blade (about $40.00). Then cut your wood on the table saw. If your saw is like mine you won't be able to cut all the way through, but you have a bandsaw to finish the job. Now a planer would be nice, but a good hand plane or belt sander will take care of the extra stock in the middle of your thin boards.

Good luck, DKT