Thread: A big part of finishing

A big part of finishing

is knowing when your done. My son Jarrod could probably do this conservation work but I need to have him spend allot more time with me learning the intricacies of this work. I have 4 painting to clean be fore I leave next week and each one takes about 8 hours. I did this one today. One picture shows the edge of the painting that was concealed from the elements and thus remained almost the original color. This is what shellac will do to painting , furniture and anything else over time. I do allot of cleaning projects but painting conservation is my favorite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGA0474.JPG   IMGA0476.JPG   IMGA0477.JPG   IMGA0478.JPG   IMGA0479.JPG  

IMGA0485.JPG   IMGA0486.JPG   IMGA0489.JPG  

Wow, quite a difference there. I assume the shellac was applied to preserve the painting at one time?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I think it was used by someone other then the artist, if the artist did it he would have done the painting outside the frame. I have not found many painting with shellac on them so this was a surprise to me.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    I would have thought all that dingy grime was cigarette smoke! What a transformation. Wonder how many pieces of art art gotten rid of by family members not knowing how nice the picture could be with cleaning??
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Man, that changed from a dark fall scene to a light springtime picture. Great work, Dave.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've seen varnish used on paintings to help protect them, but never shellac, thats crazy!
    Go ahead and run clown, with those big floppy shoes, you won't get far.

Mike even Varnish darken with time and needs to be cleaned off, the norm theses days is to reapply an acrylic clear coat. But that is contrary to what I know finishing so I like to apply a none yellowing wax which can be removed easily and reapplied. Oil never really seems to dry, Paintings at the National Gallery in Washington that have been studied for paint thickness have shown that painting 2-3 hundred years old the under painting coats are still wet. So putting an acrylic over then seals up the ability for the painting to breath and thus causing cracks in the paint.