Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: planer blade question

planer blade question

I was noticing a little ridge in my maple today off the planer, so I decided to flip the blades over on the DW735.
    (dewalt-kudos to you for making a task that is foreign to newcomers so ridiculously simple a challenged person like me did it all in under 15 minutes, just that you should have extended the pins a bit more into the blade plate)
    I wanted to order a new set, since I do alot of wood, and I dont quite understand why they are called disposable 13 inch blades.
    As opposed to what, keeping blades and resharpening them, cause once they are nicked, how well can they be sharpened?

Are all or any of the blades Im about to order going to be listed as disposable?

Last edited by John Bartley; 04-04-2011 at 05:20 PM.

i could be wrong but i think the rigid and others like it have a grove that acts like a key to set the hight. if so you can toss them. the ones you resharpen have a jig that sets the knives at a predetermined distance and you use a threaded pin to hold them there while you tighten them.

Allen

I am not familuar with your planer by Model but if you have any room to move the blades left to right, often time only one blade will have the defect and you can move that blade over one way or the other and be nearly as good as new. In fact sometimes even if both or all three blades have a nick they can be off set so the nick doesn't leave a ridge.

Garry

the blade sits exactly on pins, cant be moved, but the flip was all that was needed.
    Cant complain, keeping the machine clean and waxed its worked perfect.

Some, not all blades in them noise maskers(lunch box models) are not worth sharpening.This one of the draw backs of them. When yopu go to get new ones, it my be worth it to get a extra set in case you hit something that is not supposed to be there.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    The experience I've had with my old 733 is it dosen't take much to put a small nick in the blades. Most of the time what the machine leaves can and will sand out very easily. I usually sand my boards after planing anyway so the little ridge is not problem. If you change your blades every time you get a nick, you're going to have a heck of a blade bill by the end of the year.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

it wasnt just little nick here and there, it was a straight line right down the length of the board, first time it happenned. The blade was nicked, maybe it hit a knot on the maple,(birch) and that was it.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    it wasnt just little nick here and there, it was a straight line right down the length of the board, first time it happenned. The blade was nicked, maybe it hit a knot on the maple,(birch) and that was it.
    That's what I'm talking about Allen. You're always going to get nick from knots or unseen staples in the wood. Yes, you'll get those "lines" down the board, but they do sand out very easily. I'd rather sand the line out rather than replacing blades. Like I said before, I sand them after planing anyway as there is always some machine marks that need to be removed. Another thing you can do is get a cabinet scraper. Just pull it down the board once and the line is gone.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

royal has it right allen a scraper is a good way to elimnate the lines then sand after wards..and besides a scraper is your freind in more areas than just ridges on a planed board.. yup ya need to get another tool
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!