I'm back with a GLOAT!!!

Gord Rock

I've been lurking for the last little while as I haven't had time to do any turning. Recently got a new NOVA DVR XP lathe. After the smaller lathe I was using this is very great pleasure to use. Lots of new-to-me features and it's so smooth that the gouges that used to fall of the stand when I forgot to put them away now just sit there with no problem at all.

LOML may need to rent a jackhammer to get the grin off my face! :D

Nova DVR XP.jpg

Lookin' great. And, you are using it, that is the good part.
Wat is that black rod on the bottom-back of the headstock for?

Frank, that is the lock down nut/bolt for the headstock, so when you swivel it off line, you loosen that, and then tighten it before use.

Gord, welcome to the club, I have the older DVR 3000 and I love mine too!

A couple of quick upgrades you should do, first, get one of these......

AdjustableHandleTypeAdjustableThreadedStud.gif
>>LINK <<
I think that is the right one, 8mm thread, 25mm stud length, I'll check mine later, and get back to you.

This adjustable handle is just simply so much nicer to use than the stock handle.

The other thing I'd suggest, get the extension bed for the lathe, I waited a while, and I wish I had not, the extension bed makes life a LOT easier, as you can just push the tail stock down the the end of the lathe, NOT remove it all the time.

FYI :wave:

Frank, that "rod" is the head stock locking pin. The purpose of this threaded pin is to lock the head stock in what ever position you place it in. A very nice design in the engineering. Simple to use and very convenient.

Stu, you beat me to it by seconds.

Question for you though. Where are yousaying to use this adjustable handle?

For a guy who broke all of his fingers at least once, and dislocated both thumbs at that same time (OUCH!) while playing on the offensive and defensive lines of his high school football team, I have to say, I'm pleased I can type at all.......... :D

The adjustable handle can be placed at a point where the handle is easy to operate, you just lift it up, and the tool rest can be moved, then you press it down and it is locked in place. I have a variety of tools rests, like most I'd imagine, and each one a slightly different diameter, so the handle can be moved around and set up in just the right spot.

In a word, it is "Convenient" to use the adjustable handle.

Cheers!

Congrats Gord, that's a nice looking machine. I looked at the Nova when I was buying my upgrade... The folks at my local Woodcraft didn't give it very good marks... the manager said he'd only sold one all year and it wound up being returned. So I looked elsewhere, but in my research, I didn't find anything negative on the Nova. I bough a Jet 1442 because they were going on sale, and the Nova wasn't in stock. I looked at Frank's Grizzly and liked it too, but I'm a hands on shopper on bigger ticket items... I wanted to touch and feel whatever I bought before. Closest Grizzly dealer is 3 or 4 states away.
I know that you'll enjoy your lathe... I think I would have enjoyed anything I bought... my only two complaints with the Jet 1442... it's a Reeves system to change speeds and the handle sometimes gets in the way and the lowest speed is 450.. kinda fast on larger bowl blanks... otherwise, I love the machine and really enjoy turning on it... congratulations again and have fun. (That's what it's all about anyway - right?)

Gord, welcome to the club, I have the older DVR 3000 and I love mine too!

A couple of quick upgrades you should do, first, get one of these......

View attachment 31693
>>LINK <<
I think that is the right one, 8mm thread, 25mm stud length, I'll check mine later, and get back to you.

This adjustable handle is just simply so much nicer to use than the stock handle.

The other thing I'd suggest, get the extension bed for the lathe, I waited a while, and I wish I had not, the extension bed makes life a LOT easier, as you can just push the tail stock down the the end of the lathe, NOT remove it all the time.

FYI :wave:

Stu,
Thanks for the tip regarding the handle. I ordered one today. The stock handle is the only thing (so far) on the lathe that I really don't like. I'm going tomorrow to price out the extension. I think it would be great to just slide the banjo to the end as it's a bit of a pain to reinstall. Thanks again. :thumb:
.....Gord