Fixed base or plunge router question

Hi there.

I have a fixed base router, and I'm thinking about purchasing a plunge accesoire for it, but my question is:

What are a fixed base router and a plunge router made for?

I understand that a plunge router allows you make mortises in a much safer way than a fixed base router, but apart from that, is there any other feature that makes one different or more suitable for a specific job from the other?

Any info or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Toni, I have four routers now, two plunge based and two fixed base, they all have specific jobs.

If it were down to just one router, I'd have a plunge base, as you can do more with it, IMHO, so I'd say get the plunge base and I bet you will find all kinds of uses for it that you never dreamed of. :wave:

One thing I've found helpful is when you're doing something that requires making several light passes I can set the depth at the lowest point of the turret and then use the turret to take ever deeper cuts till I get to where I need to be.

Boy, I didn't explain that very well.:rofl:

One thing I've found helpful is when you're doing something that requires making several light passes I can set the depth at the lowest point of the turret and then use the turret to take ever deeper cuts till I get to where I need to be.

Boy, I didn't explain that very well.:rofl:

You must of did something right cause I understood it!:thumb:

Well, it's one of those things that, once you get it, you don't know how you got by without it. I'm avoiding that trap;). I've been into woodworking for over 20 years now and still don't own a plunge router.:eek: Not saying they wouldn't be handy sometimes, but I've always figured out an alternate solution when I needed one. Fact is, I'm to cheap to buy one retail, and I've yet to find a bargain on a used one. If you don't already have one, a table mounted router is a far more useful rig IMO.

Yep what Rennie said. The plunge ones has a post that allows you to set a final depth, then you can make a pass, turn the stop which lowers the cutter untill you reach the final depth. They are great for making dados in the middle of boards, makeing shelf supports holes on case sides. OK next person.

Yep what Rennie said. The plunge ones has a post that allows you to set a final depth, then you can make a pass, turn the stop which lowers the cutter untill you reach the final depth. They are great for making dados in the middle of boards, makeing shelf supports holes on case sides. OK next person.

Good for setting depth on inlays too. Can place the material that will be the inlay in between the stop and plung post to set the exact depth for that material.

If I could have only one, it would be a plunge. I have only one plunge base but I have a couple of routers that fit it. A fixed base unit is often more compact so having each type is desirable. I have a few routers but find that I now use the small and large Milwaukee motors that fit the various plunge and fixed bases 99% of the time.

As to which one is for what (in my shop):
- fixed = edge treatments, dados, inlay.
- plunge = mortises, stopped cuts.

At one time there were a lot of so-so combo plunge bases that would bind or were excessively hard or easy to plunge. This kept dedicated plunge routers popular and indeed they are still a quality product. There are several good combo kits around now for about $200 (I obviously favor the Mil).

Attachments

• The-Mil-Crew.jpg
    The-Mil-Crew.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
If I could have only one, it would be a plunge. I have only one plunge base but I have a couple of routers that fit it. A fixed base unit is often more compact so having each type is desirable. I have a few routers but find that I now use the small and large Milwaukee motors that fit the various plunge and fixed bases 99% of the time.

As to which one is for what (in my shop):
- fixed = edge treatments, dados, inlay.
- plunge = mortises, stopped cuts.
Bob Rosendahl on the Router Workshop has said many times he wouldn't be buying many routers that were not plunge type. I have nine routers and feel the same way now.

Regards

Jerry

Hi Toni,

I know this doesn't answer your question directly but I do hope it helps. A plunge router can do everything that a fixed based router can do just by securing the plunge (assuming your router has that feature). A fixed based router can't plunge, at least not safely and securely.

The last router I purchased has both a fixed and a plunge base. It mainly stays in my router table with the fixed based but I did pull the plunge base out last weekend and use it when I cut angled dados for some shelves in a shoe rack I made for my wife.

Thanks guys.

I think I'll get a plunge and maybe a lift for the one I already have, although I have to calculate very carefully, so that I get the right ring diameter, they don't sell lifts here so I might come back to all of you with another router question, let me take some pics and I'll come back.:)

Toni,

I think you'll be happy with a plunge base.

I think the consensus is that you can do any thing you can with a plunge, that you can do with a fixed base, and more. The flexability makes it well worth it, in my opinion.

I have 2 routers -DW618 (Fixed&Plunge bases) & P-C 690 (fixed base). I use the fixed base for the Dewalt mounted in my Router table. If I need to use a plunge, I drop the motor out, and put it in the plunge base. For regular non-plunge hand routing, I used the 690.

Plunge Router

Hi Toni, You are right about the mortises but I do a lot of inlay work and the plunge feature is much better than the fixed base for inlays. I used to brake the bit when trying to cut out the inlays with the fixed base. If you only use a plunge base for those 2 jobs the price is worth the money. I watch for a sale when I buy those tools. Take care Toni, Joe