Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something different.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

Something different.

New direction for me yesterday. The guys that own the house I remodeled ask me to do a couple of mosaics and mount them in picture frames to go into the bathroom. I've seen this done on TV but have never tried it before. This is what I got done yesterday and will finish applying the field pieces this morning and will grout it tonight. They furnished the honu (HOE-NEW, Hawaiian for turtle) and the field pieces are left over from the shower. I've got some Koa to make the frames out of. I'll be posting more photos as this comes together.

No, I didn't forget the library job! The guys are having a big birthday bash next month and want them finished for that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8787 (Small).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	31703

Name:	IMG_8788 (Small).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	31704

Name:	IMG_8791 (Small).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	31705
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Very cool Royal, great job.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

way to go royall

if its going in the bathroom, make sure to seal the grout really well, and spar varnish the frame to within an inch of it's life. about 5 coats will do!
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Those look real great Royall. Be interested to see how you mount the picture frame around it. You going to rebate the back of the moulding you put around the edge. Will it overlap the tile edges? I suppose we will see in due course.
    cheers

hey royall, youre a talented dude.

Something different.

Hey Royall,

That's neat buddy. Looks real good.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Your a man of many talents Royall That is cool, nice job

Very nice Royall, I think that You did a good job
    If it can be Moulded I'll Mould It.
    I am a Profile Knife Grinder, Carbide service, Saw grinder, Moulder Operator in industry

Woodworker and tile master. I'm in awe!

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Thanks everybody. Warm fuzzies are always welcome Didn't get as far as I wanted today. but both pieces ard together and I started cutting the Koa for the frames. I was going to grout the pieces then mount them. but changed my mind.... yeah I got one I was going to mount the honu piece in a rabbet from behind the frame and the whale piece in a rabbet from the front of the frame due to the boarder around it. I didn't want to cover any of the wave detail of the boarder. Then I decided to just drop them both in from the front and then grout them in a rabbet that is just a little deeper than the piece is thick. The whale will be more difficult as it is hand made locally and varies quite abit in thickness. I'll then grout up to the edge of the frame. The honu is 16x16 and the whales/mermaid is 14x14. I like the honu piece but find the other one a bit too "cutesy" for my taste.

This is the first time I've worked with Koa. I'm working very slow with it as it is a little on the expensive side. It was 58 bucks for the board that 4 1/2"x 58". It is 13/16" thick and had some rough spots so I run it through the planer with new blades. Went very lightly and still got tear out of the grain. I did run a scraper over the worst of it and got most of it cleaned up.

Tomorrow I'll rabbet the inside edge and miter the corners. I'm going to spray them out with lacquer. Hopefully I'll be able to deliver the finished wall hangins by Friday.

Name:	IMG_8792 (Small).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	31716

Name:	IMG_8793 (Small).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	31717

Name:	IMG_8795 (Small).jpg