small hollow form

This one is spalted beech with a dyed hazel finial & leg. It's 3" dia and with a 3" finial & leg.

I like making these things even if they have only a decorative purpose. Getting the leg & finial right is the hardest part. Think this one is OK what do you think?

Wow, that is certainly nice work :clap:

If I was to fault anything, I'd say the base need to be a bit wider to balance better with the actual HF.

Still that is very nice work! :thumb:

I agree with Stu about the base...but if it was on my mantle...who cares! Great piece and since I can't do that kind of thing...don't listen to me :D

Pete,
Do you have a pic with the lid off? Cool!

The finial is in effect the lid. The form is hollowed out using as small a hole as possible and then a small collar is put on it. The finial has a small tenon that fits into the collar. If this doesn't explain properly I'll take a photo tomorrow and show you.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. These things a real fun to do and good practice at hollowing.
pete

I'm not a real hollow form fan, other than admiring the talent it takes to create them. It is a nice looking piece, but I browsed through your photobucket album and was very impressed by your creativity and skill. Keep up the good work