What glue to use?

Different project require different glue.

Yellow glue for wood it has a great bond but I prefer Rabbit skin glue for an even greater bond.

Good thing to know if you use a epoxy tootsie roll wood filler use rabbit skin glue 1st let it dry and the wood fill will adhere better.

Yellow glue and rabbit skin glue work best with you apply a coat to each piece and then let tack up for 15 minutes and then join together.

I order the glue on line, You will need a double broiler or a crock pot and a mason jar. I use about 1" of the rabbit skin glue buttons to 2" of water, let it sit over night and then in the morning add a touch of water and place in crock pot , do not boil just get very hot. Most of the time if your doing small veneer you can use blue 3M type to hold down till dry. 1 pound will last along time. You turn it off when your done and just turn on when you need glue again.

I'm not sure what is in Hyde glue. I used it for a while and liked it but I found the I can strengthen up the rabbit skin glue by adding to the pot when I need a stronger bond. plus it is a lot less money.

Interesting about the epoxy sticks Dave. I use that stuff frequently with my furniture repair business, I've never had a problem with it not forming a rock solid grip all on its own. You have to follow the directions and really press it into the exposed grain of the wood. I myself have found that when there is glue in the area that the filler is going, it doesnt hold as well so I've actually had to remove glue to make a better fit w/ the epoxy. To each their own I guess :dunno:

When my father, who was a professional woodworker, died and I cleaned out his things, I found a bunch very old Fine Woodworking magazines. One that I saved for a while had an article on the use of hide glue. (isn't Hyde a brand name?)
The article said that furniture which had been made with this was still in great condition many years afterwards.
My father had a hot pot he used. Smelly stuff but probably was best available at the time.

Animal Hide glue is not a brand name but a product... (ever hear the reporte' about sending the horse to the glue factory?)

As for the allowing to "Tacky" for a better bond is (IMHO) off the mark as it is a practice used to keep joints from sliding during edge glueing panels but for joints, it has a negative effect as the insertain of the joint parts creates friction and prevents proper seating as well as often causes the glue to be scraped off the ajoining parts.

I've had good luck with cold press veneer glue for applying veneer to edges. I just roll the glue on the edge, apply the veneer strip and apply heat with an iron till I see steam coming from the edge from the glue curing and press with a block of wood while applying heat. the whole process only takes a couple of minutes.