Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delta grinder ?

Delta grinder ?

I'm considering purchasing one of the Delta vs grinders and a 100 grit wheel to put on it.
    CS has them for $179.99 plus shipping ($20 or $25 depending on which of their catalogs you look at ).
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...le_speed?Args=
    Amazon has, or doesn't have them, depending on when you look at the site.
    But reviews at Amazon are less than encouraging. Reviewers (customers who have purchased) use words like "vibrate", "wobble" , etc.
    Local Lowe's has for $129.00 and no shipping. Good deal. But, even then, I'm buying new to get away from a shaker and wobbler.
    Anyone here with experience with one of these?

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I like the Woodcraft Grinder.

Hey Frank, I got the same one Frank has (Woodcraft slow speed) and have been very happy with it. The two speed is on sale for the same price ... http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=4606

Tony, BCE '75

I've got the Woodcraft grinder as well, but I have to say, at our FEWS meeting I used the Baldor grinder that Suzuki san brings to each meeting and there is no comparison, the Baldor grinder is one sweet machine, but it is not cheap.

Is the Delta better than the Woodcraft grinder?

Most of the "Wobble" etc you get on a grinder is the stones, I use the OneWay balancing system on my set up, it turns the cheap Woodcraft grinder into a very useable tool.

Stu
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I've got the Woodcraft grinder as well, but I have to say, at our FEWS meeting I used the Baldor grinder that Suzuki san brings to each meeting and there is no comparison, the Baldor grinder is one sweet machine, but it is not cheap.

Is the Delta better than the Woodcraft grinder?

Most of the "Wobble" etc you get on a grinder is the stones, I use the OneWay balancing system on my set up, it turns the cheap Woodcraft grinder into a very useable tool.

Stu
    I have a 6" Baldor, and it's so smooth you almost don't know it's running. It also has a terrific set of bearings - it takes it quite a while to 'wind down' after I shut it off. I'm using some Norton premium quality wheels on it.

I also have the Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder - also with the Norton wheels, and it runs very smoothly, too - but not as smooth as the Baldor.

The wheels that came with the Woodcraft grinder were junk. They were way out of balance, and when I tried to use the diamond dresser on them I found they had very inconsistent density. Some spots were very hard, others practically crumbled under the diamond. They also wobbled like crazy. The combination caused some very bad vibration.

The third grinder I have is a Delta, with a 6" wheel on one end and a 3 X 24 sanding belt on the other. If I remove the belt, it's very smooth and quiet. Putting the sanding belt back on makes it very noisy, and also imparts some vibration to it. I seldom use this one, and generally keep it stored under a bench, but still, it comes in handy at times.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I've got the 8" delta variable speed. It's the shopmaster version. It's 3 years old and popped the capacitor about 3 weeks ago. A replacement (American made) was 15 bucks. It vibrated badly when I first got it. Most of the vibration was taken care of once I got a better set of wheels. The vs has been handy.

Frank I got the Delta variable speed 8 inch grinder and I changed the wheel for 80 grit Norton and put the one way balancing on and its fine. Of course when you add up all the extras it makes you think? But i have not seen a standard bench top grinder that is sold with decent fine grit wheels out of the box.

I come back to a point i keep making and hoping some manufacturing engineers that might by the off chance consider reading the forums their customers frequent. If they did I ask them to consider the fact that they already have a tool stand in terms of cost of material and forming so why the heck not have it manufactured properly. Same with the visors. Why value engineer the item to the point where you strip the value from it. Yup I understand form fit and function but there is more to it than that.

Best of luck with the decision Frank.
    cheers

I got the Delta VS grinder from Lowes. Came home , set it up and sharpened one lathe tool just fine on low speed. Then started sharpening the second tool and grinder went full speed. No more VS. Only high. Took back to Lowes same day and got money back. I got the low speed one from Woodcraft and love it.

I have the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and it already has the wheels on it.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm one more guy with the Woodcraft slow grinder who replaced the wheels that came with it, and also added the Oneway balancing kit. I've been happy with it for the price and would recommend it to others with the caveat that it may take a bit of tweaking to get things running smooth. (But worth the tweaking, since running smooth is hugely important.)

I very much regret giving away my granddad's old bench grinder. I don't know what brand it was, but I suspect it was an old Baldor. (Wouldn't have recognized the name back then.) It was built like a tank and took forever to wind down after running. I could lift it, but not carry it far. I gave it to a friend in exchange for some help he gave me fixing a roof, at a time when I needed a roof more than a grinder.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com