A little eye candy

Nancy,

That is just a wonderful looking piece. There is just something kinda historically romantic about having an heirloom in the family. I wish I had something like that past down to me by an ancestor who actually made it with their own hands. *sigh*

Gary

I'm very lucky that I have several pieces that will be handed down. One is a display cabinet with glass doors that belonged to my uncle's (by marriage) father, and dates back to about 1890. It's solid cherry, and has the original rolled glass in the bottom doors. It has been retrofitted with glass shelves and a light, but it's still an heirloom . When I got it, it had been painted with a putrid green flat wall paint!!! (What a travesty!). We stripped it, then just shot it with lacquer. I know that he didn't build it (he was a minister, not a woodworker), but it has special meaning to me because it is a family piece. I'll post a picture if anyone is interested.

I also have my own little roll-top desk and chair that were my "Santa Claus" gift for Christmas the year I was six. My parents decided that I needed a place other than the kitchen table to do my homework. It is just a simple pine desk and has never been refinished.