Hope Chest

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
This is no where near as nice as the one Nancy posted earlier. I built it for an ex just after I graduated from high school. She decided to part ways before it was gifted. My mom decided that she wanted it, held on to it until they retired and sold their house, then I got it back. It was a fun project, one of the first that I made all the moldings for. I got lucky and found some great tounge and groove closent lining ceder that didn't have the bevels cut in on each side, so it lined out really nice.

Attachments

• IMG00113.jpg
    IMG00113.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG00114.jpg
    IMG00114.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG00115.jpg
    IMG00115.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 34
Would have been a great gift, she lost out in more ways than one. :)

Okay Darren being from a different part of the world why do you guys call them Hope Chest.

We called them Kists which from what i know came from the Scots. But I was always brought up to believe that a young girl stored all the gifts she got given (prior to getting married relative to keeping a house) in the kist and this then went off to her new abode with her after being married.

Whats the North American version anyone of the old timers here able to fill in my blanks?

Same thing, Rob. We call them hope chests because we hope that after we fill them, we can find a husband. Girls would fill them with monogrammed linens, quilts, fancy underthings, and other such. I use mine to keep a lot of my keepsakes in - old letters, my wedding dress, a few baby clothes, my high-school scrapbook. Just stuff like that.

Darren, your chest is beautiful too, and another heirloom that should be passed on to a grandchild, if you can decide which one. Since I have three grandsons and only one granddaughter, I've decided that she gets it. The boys wouldn't appreciate it.

Thanks Nancy I hoped you would spot my question to Darren. Going down the list of todays posts I saw his post first and after yours. Thought I would have done better to ask my questions of you but after typing I just hoped the you would spot it. Actually Stu also provided a little of the answer.

I find it interesting to compare how things are view from essentially descendants of the same background but ending up in different places.:)

I dont have any girls in my family and they are scarce in the greater family but are young girls still into having a "Hope Chest" or Kist or whatever you like to call them? Hey Stu you have two daughters whats the traddition in Japan?

Nice work, especially for a just-out-of-high-school kid. :thumb:

Rob, I never heard of a hope chest until I was an adult. My mom's was always called the "cedar chest" in our house. Dunno if that was a regional thing or just a name she learned in her family. Regardless of the name, it held pretty much the same types of things Nancy listed.

well darren i would say that you done afine job on the molding on that piece and if it culled out a bad partner yu dun great on the whole project:) i have been from the traditional up bringun and the hope chest was always called just that in my parts they would also put in a set of dishes sometimes as well... what kind of wood is that made out of darren on the outside?

Darren, your chest is beautiful too, and another heirloom that should be passed on to a grandchild, if you can decide which one.

Hopefully the chest will age a little more before that happens, no grandchildren before I turn 40. :)

I dont have any girls in my family and they are scarce in the greater family but are young girls still into having a "Hope Chest" or Kist or whatever you like to call them? Hey Stu you have two daughters whats the traddition in Japan?

My neice was wanting one a while back, however even though my daughter will probably get one of her own, she hasn't asked for one.

My mom's was always called the "cedar chest" in our house. Dunno if that was a regional thing or just a name she learned in her family.

We called it that too, but I think I picked the term up from my sister who called it the "hope" chest

well darren i would say that you done afine job on the molding on that piece and if it culled out a bad partner yu dun great on the whole project:) i have been from the traditional up bringun and the hope chest was always called just that in my parts they would also put in a set of dishes sometimes as well... what kind of wood is that made out of darren on the outside?

It's made from yellow pine, finished with Minwax Puritan Pine and Deft Varnish. Not the greatest finish job, but adds a lot of character to it now days.

Thanks for the comments all, hopefully (no pun intended) it will be passed down to my grandkids and such some day.