Thread: Another chest

Another chest

Speaking of chests and eye candy and getting things back to the ww side of things like Nancy said. I was doing a home inspection last weekend and saw this chest in the residence bedroom and just had to take a pic of it to shere with everyone. I have no history on the chest, but it really caught my eye. I promised myself and the wife that one day i am going to make this myself. ( yea along with a dozen other projects). The carving is that of a dogwood like we have in our back yard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 304 Cranberry lane,  home inspection 021.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

That's interesting, for sure!

I've seen a lot of chests with coopered tops - even made a couple myself - but that's the first one I've ever seen with coopered ends.

I may have to make one!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

What an interesting piece. I'd sure like to be able to find out more about it. It looks like it could use some work on the finish, too.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Nice Chest but we cannot see it for all its splendour. Looks like you have the Chuck disease tiny pictures.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    That's interesting, for sure!

I've seen a lot of chests with coopered tops - even made a couple myself - but that's the first one I've ever seen with coopered ends.

I may have to make one!
    Drew, That is an interesting looking chest, I like it.

Jim, Is coopered meaning the part that looks like a segmented bowl?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    ...Jim, Is coopered meaning the part that looks like a segmented bowl?
    Hmmm... Never thought of it as a segmented bowl. You lathe addicts have a warped perspecive. But yeah, it's segmented in the sense that the edges are cut to fit into a part of a circle.

Actually, "coopered' as I used it is more in the sense of barrel making - Think of the 'segments' as staves in a barrel, with the edges of each one bevelled for a tight fit to the adjacent ones.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Glad that everyone likes it. I thought it was rather unique when i saw it as i have never seen a chest with ends like that. I will try to get some more info on it when i see the owners next time. I expect that someone spent lots of time carving out the flowers. It is something that does inspire some "out of the box thinking".
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............