Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ci1 Tool Question

Ci1 Tool Question

I have one of the Ci1's and like it alot........however i was looking online and around for a source to buy cutting tips from. I am unable to locate anybody so far. I have tried Carbide Depot - no luck they dont carry them that thin as i remember but either way still not able to locate a source. I tried looking at indexing cutter vendors but still having trouble.
    Anybody buying them from a source they can tell me about ? or have any vendors that would carry them?

Thanks

I posted this a while back during another discussion.
    I wasn't going to bring it up again because I don't want to make anyone feel bad.
    But.....since you asked.........
    You can get them from Grizzly in boxes of 10 for under $3.00 each.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7319
    I made up a bunch of roughing tools with these and call them Ozark Hoggers or Ozark Roughers. They remove wood like a hungry monster and the cutters last a very long time. My total cost for making a tool is about $5.00.
    Since I bought mine, Grizzly has added many more styles of carbide cutters, some more costly. Just search their site for 'inserts' or 'carbide inserts'.
    If you search for originating sources, you will find the prices are not much, if any, better than what Griz sells for and they use tech speek which is often difficult to translate.
    You have used yours so you know what they can do. I'm majorly impressed with what it will do. I have found that certain woods, like Osage Orange, because of the high silica content (fancy word for 'sand') can dull these cutters. But, being so cheap and with four sides....so wat?
    So far, I haven't sold any, just give them away. But, I'm looking at a new idea and may have a homemade product available before long.
    BTW, round cutters are available. But, for some reason, they are quite a bit more expensive, about $12.00 per cutter. Still cheap since you could probably get a years hollowing from one cutter.

Dan, are you asking if anyone "Else" sells these cutters?

If you are, then I think you are out of luck, Craig Jackson at Easy Wood Tools has them made for him to his specs.

The cutters are $14 a pop, four sides, that makes it $3.50 a side, and I was getting close to twenty 8" bowls roughed out per side, so that makes it about 18 cents a bowl, not that expensive, when you think about it.

Most people will pay $3 for a tall Latte

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I posted this a while back during another discussion.
    I wasn't going to bring it up again because I don't want to make anyone feel bad.
    But.....since you asked.........
    You can get them from Grizzly in boxes of 10 for under $3.00 each.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7319
    I made up a bunch of roughing tools with these and call them Ozark Hoggers or Ozark Roughers. They remove wood like a hungry monster and the cutters last a very long time. My total cost for making a tool is about $5.00.
    Since I bought mine, Grizzly has added many more styles of carbide cutters, some more costly. Just search their site for 'inserts' or 'carbide inserts'.
    If you search for originating sources, you will find the prices are not much, if any, better than what Griz sells for and they use tech speek which is often difficult to translate.
    You have used yours so you know what they can do. I'm majorly impressed with what it will do. I have found that certain woods, like Osage Orange, because of the high silica content (fancy word for 'sand') can dull these cutters. But, being so cheap and with four sides....so wat?
    So far, I haven't sold any, just give them away. But, I'm looking at a new idea and may have a homemade product available before long.
    BTW, round cutters are available. But, for some reason, they are quite a bit more expensive, about $12.00 per cutter. Still cheap since you could probably get a years hollowing from one cutter.

Frank, I went to the link and they are priced at $22+ per ten... where are the $3.00 guys? I have been looking for some as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Frank, I went to the link and they are priced at $22+ per ten... where are the $3.00 guys? I have been looking for some as well.
    Really hate doin' this to ye..... but.... 22 divided by 10 = $2.20 each. That is under $3.00 each.

Knew I had a photo of my Ozark Hogger somewhere. Thanks Picassa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ozark Hogger no handle.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Really hate doin' this to ye..... but.... 22 divided by 10 = $2.20 each. That is under $3.00 each.
    DUH! is in order here No thinky too well today

I think they are getting ready to do a buy on the IAP site. They found a co that has the cutter with the 2" radius for $3.57 (I think) in lots of 10 There looking into the round ones right now.

i understand about Craig buying and selling his cutters if they are made to his spec's..........Which i think is fine and im sure it makes people have to go back to him only for additional cutters (good buss sense).
    However, and i can elaborate because i own two of the Ci1's and think they are a very nice tool, well made, very safe especially in the hands of kids that are new to turning etc......i really like the tool. But, what i want to be able to do is to buy additional cutters in bulk with perhaps better pricing, possibly the ability to get different radius cutters, etc......I own the tool and im sure there are other cutters out there that can be adapted to the tool or vendors with different radius cutters or willing to make them up at discont prices for bulk purchases..............i just want to have some options and not be locked into one vendor or only a couple of different cutters......

I guess i should have spent more time explaining what i meant....but thanks for the replys..............Dan

Like Frank said, Grizzly sells them in 10-packs. There has been some recent discussions over on the AAW site regarding the cutters and sources for them. I would be willing to bet that they are about all made in the same factory, regardless of which vendor you get them from. The Grizzlies say they are made in Germany.