Which type of bench vise is best?

I have only a tiny fraction of the ww experience of many here, but that never stopped me from having an opinion......:rolleyes:
I believe any of those would work well for you.
Only thought I have on the quick release is: wats yer hurry? Personally, I don't go into my shop to rush. I go there to avoid rush. Only you can decide if saving 30 seconds a day is worth the extra money.

I would lean towards the 8967 but this will require a bit more than the "bolt on and go" that the other two provide. The 8967 is the same style as my (as yet uninstalled) LV vises. The other two have only an 8" opening. Subtract 3" or so for faces and your dog holes would have to be pretty close together. The difference in price is less than a case of beer so I would choose the one you prefer (there is no "right" answer here; too many variables).

If you go with the small QR vise you will at least get to see if QR is really important to you and you can factor that in if and when you go for a larger capacity vise. 70% of my vise work involves bench dogs so as long as the vise has a greater capacity than my hole spacing, I'm good.

Dan asked, "How do you use bench dogs with a vise? Doesn't it have to have a pin/dog that pushes up?"

Push up thingy does help. Or, just put a hunk of sumptin' taller than your work between the work and front jaw.

save your money and cry once;)

The man speaks volumes with few words. Its true; ask 99% of the people who thought they could get by with a 6" jointer. If I took all the money I wasted by buying lean (read cheap) when I was starting out, I'd have a lot of lumber ;-)

Quality for the dollar, i'd go with the green Grizzly. Making your own jaws is a bit more work, but makes for a beefier vise. If you could get one similar to the green Grizzly with the quick release that fits your budget, that would be ideal in my book
paulh