Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: woohoo 50bf of hard maple

woohoo 50bf of hard maple

I'll try and post some pics in the daylight tomorrow, but I swung through the fine establishment in Hicksville MD today and left with 50bf (approximately) of fine hard maple, and one slighlty lighter wallet. for those who don't know of this mill,it is a working mill run by very devout gentlemen. I'm not sure which sect they are, but If I had to hazard a guess I'd say menonites. They have technology, (forklifts, one HUGE cyclone (20' tall at least, which dumps into a trailer outside the mill) commercial grade milling machines, planers etc...) but they live a simpler life outside of the mill. great wood for a decent dollar. I chose just plain maple, but they have curly maple, cherry and just about any other wood you could ask for. Tell them what you want, they lead you to the huge stacks, and you pick what you need. They measure up at the office and you settle up with them there.
    I paid just about $3/bf for my haul today. Up home it would have been $3.50 or $4 or more. I'm not counting transport cost, as I was on a trip anyway, so it wasn't a special trip, though for some of that curly maple I might just make the trip if I ever lived closer to there.
    -Ned

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ned,
    I look forward to seeing the gloat, in the mean time I guess it didn't happen..

"There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

uh oh, thought I left the pic police over at the creek. hrmmmm OK, pics tomorrow, not much to see tonight, other than a grey tarpaulin in a pickup bed which is in a non-lit driveway
    -Ned

Ned - you hit the Mecca! That's my favorite mill. I was up there this past Tuesday and brought home about 50bf hard maple 40bf cherry and 15bf poplar. I try to get up there a few times a year.

Robert and Robert (no not brothers) are Mennonites (sp). A very hard working family and super friendly.

Mike

Then I was right, incredibly hard working folks, and as you say, super nice to deal with. with ONe exception this afternoon, every customer there was laughing and smiling. I think the one guy was under a deadline and in a hurry.

One guy read my tshirt, which says 'rule#1: You can never have too many tools'

he laughed and asked if it was a true statement. I joshed right back and said 'I haven't found a tool I couldn't find a use for yet.'
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Ned,
    I look forward to seeing the gloat, in the mean time I guess it didn't happen..

here you go, had to find the usb cable to my new camera (on loan, but I'll be happy to use it for awhile)

there is a shot of the boards.

there you go, beaufitul wood in a gorgeous sunny va day!
    -Ned

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Yup looks like Maple,
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Nice haul, Ned. $3.00 bf brings a tear to my eyes...I'm paying three or four times that price. (Granted, I'm buying S4S, but I can't easily get rough maple locally.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn,
    I have a great hardwood dealer 'nearby' in Pulaski NY. Brian at Lakeshore Hardwoods does a great job,and he specializes in cherry, plus he will wrap and ship 'shorts' nationwide. check him out at lakeshorehardwoods

He sells turning stock too!
    -Ned

Thanks for the link, Ned. I took a quick glance and you're right...he's got great prices on cherry. The shipping on 8/4 shorts would add up pretty quickly, but it would be worth a phone call to find out more.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com