woohoo 50bf of hard maple

Ned Bulken

I'll try and post some pics in the daylight tomorrow, but I swung through the fine establishment in Hicksville MD today and left with 50bf (approximately) of fine hard maple, and one slighlty lighter wallet. for those who don't know of this mill,it is a working mill run by very devout gentlemen. I'm not sure which sect they are, but If I had to hazard a guess I'd say menonites. They have technology, (forklifts, one HUGE cyclone (20' tall at least, which dumps into a trailer outside the mill) commercial grade milling machines, planers etc...) but they live a simpler life outside of the mill. great wood for a decent dollar. I chose just plain maple, but they have curly maple, cherry and just about any other wood you could ask for. Tell them what you want, they lead you to the huge stacks, and you pick what you need. They measure up at the office and you settle up with them there.
I paid just about $3/bf for my haul today. Up home it would have been $3.50 or $4 or more. I'm not counting transport cost, as I was on a trip anyway, so it wasn't a special trip, though for some of that curly maple I might just make the trip if I ever lived closer to there.

Ned - you hit the Mecca! That's my favorite mill. I was up there this past Tuesday and brought home about 50bf hard maple 40bf cherry and 15bf poplar. I try to get up there a few times a year.

Robert and Robert (no not brothers) are Mennonites (sp). A very hard working family and super friendly.

Mike

Then I was right, incredibly hard working folks, and as you say, super nice to deal with. with ONe exception this afternoon, every customer there was laughing and smiling. I think the one guy was under a deadline and in a hurry.

One guy read my tshirt, which says 'rule#1: You can never have too many tools'

he laughed and asked if it was a true statement. I joshed right back and said 'I haven't found a tool I couldn't find a use for yet.'

Ned,
I look forward to seeing the gloat, in the mean time I guess it didn't happen..

:D

here you go, had to find the usb cable to my new camera (on loan, but I'll be happy to use it for awhile)

50bf.jpg

there is a shot of the boards.

50bfsun.jpg

there you go, beaufitul wood in a gorgeous sunny va day!

Nice haul, Ned. $3.00 bf brings a tear to my eyes...I'm paying three or four times that price. (Granted, I'm buying S4S, but I can't easily get rough maple locally.)

Thanks for the link, Ned. I took a quick glance and you're right...he's got great prices on cherry. The shipping on 8/4 shorts would add up pretty quickly, but it would be worth a phone call to find out more.

Nice hual. At 3that price I would have bought a few hundred bdft. Around here it cost $5.10 for regular maple for rough sawn.:( Maybe this summer I will take the trailer down to PA and load up on some lumber.

dare I say that was including tax?

I went to the trouble of wrapping it up in the tarp and so on for the trip home... and had nary a drop of rain the whole 500 miles home.

Well of course, you KNOW if you had left it unwrapped, it would have rained the whole way :D

One of them unwritten rules.

When I was a kid and we went camping as a family, the first thing my dad made us put up at the campsite the big tarp covering the whole table area, that way, if it rained, we were dry setting up, and the ground stayed dry, if it did not rain, at least the squirrels had more trouble bombing us :D

Nice haul, and at that price, well I can only dream of getting hardwood for those kinds of prices :(

Cheers! :D

Nice haul, and at that price, well I can only dream of getting hardwood for those kinds of prices :(

But Stu, You got LOTS of hardwood much cheaper than that just a little while ago. Or have you forgotten all that light milling work you posted so many pictures of a few months back? :D All that wood was free wasn't it? :D :rofl:

Chip, that Keyaki is not really wood when it is dried, it is more like thin sheets of concrete :D

Free, well $300 for a chainsaw and other costs, not free, but if I sell two or three of the nice pieces, yeah, then it becomes free and then some :thumb:

Cheers!