Cribbage Boards

Lee DeRaud

A customer asked me if I'd ever made any of these. I guess I'd considered it in the past, but gave up on it because (1) I don't have a CNC machine and (2) I found all of the normal hole-drilling methods insanely tedious.

But I got bored one day, and as luck would have it, I had a big pile of thin stock over in the corner. It dawned on me that, as long as I used material that was thin enough, the laser could handle the "drilling". (Insert big "DUH!" here.) Here are the results:
PICT0351.jpgPICT0346.jpgPICT0342.jpgPICT0337.jpg
(And if I ever start to make anything from padauk again, just shoot me before I get to the sanding/finishing stage.)

Last edited:
Man, those are slick-looking. :thumb: I like the second one in the lineup the most.

Re: the padauk...what? Don't you like orange? :rofl: You can just THINK of sanding padauk and everything in your shop will be covered with orange sawdust.

1- just how thick can you go with a laser? Those don't look that thin.

2- Paduak. uh-oh. I've got a night stand coming up with that for the top. I'd better make sure I've got the dust mask + vacuum all primed and ready when I get my round-tuit

1- just how thick can you go with a laser? Those don't look that thin.

2- Paduak. uh-oh. I've got a night stand coming up with that for the top. I'd better make sure I've got the dust mask + vacuum all primed and ready when I get my round-tuit
I can do 1/4" in most woods (and acrylic), these are five-layer sandwiches from 0.15" stock. They don't need to be that thick, but I need an odd number for symmetry and the pegs would bottom out with only three layers (bottom layer is solid).

Sanding padauk is like diving head first into a barrel full of crushed Cheezy-Poofs. :eek: