Painted cabinet

Dan Thibert

My friend wants me to make him a medicine cabinet. He is also certain he wants it painted white. Would the best way to do this to use a spray painter attached to my air compressor? Would buying a couple of spray cans word just as well?
If he wants it painted I was thinking making the cabinet out of 3/4" plywood and then trim it with something like red oak. Any better ideas?

Thanks
Dan

If just going to paint it, why not make it out of something less expensive, like poplar or something for the trim work? You could also do white lacquer too.

Friend of mine wanted cabinets painted, she got Oak unfinished cabinets, Sprayed them with Blue paint (horrible you say, me too) but to my surprise the looked great, She wanted the old country farm house look with painted cabinets. Wood grain showed through and looked like they were antique cabinets painted by the Shakers. Not my choice for my house but ...?

If you're going to paint it, don't use oak. It'll be a bear to fill and sand and seal prior to painting.

Use something like Poplar instead. It sands easily, and paints beautifully (assuming you like paint - I don't)

You could also use MDF. A coat or two of sanding sealer and a couple coats of rattle-can white will have it looking good. It'll also be the cheapest route, since MDF can be had for around twenty bucks a sheet.

I use poplar for cabinets that I am going to paint. I have found that Insul-x cabinet paint is great if you dont have spray equipment. Really smooth nice surface. It is available at most Ace hardware stores. I put it on using a foam brush. Not cheap though.

To your question, I would use lacquer but if you not set up for it just get spray cans, most are self priming, probably 3 can's should do the job. 2 light coats and sand then finish added finish look coat with clear. But use the same brand from start to finish.

It is great that spray cans will work here, and Poplar would be a good wood for the trim.

One thought I had was if he were to pay me for my labor with a paint gun :thumb: would that work better than the paint cans? I would also then have the paint gun for future endeavors. I saw paint guns at Harbor freight for $50 that looked pretty good.

Thanks
Dan

Take it from someone who has tried those HF spray guns...don't bother!

I got a really good set at Home Depot that was the Husky brand, came with 2 guns, a large gun, and a small gun, plus a bunch of accessories. Think the total cost was around 80 bucks, do yourself a favor and spend the few extra bucks. Husky may not be a great brand, but I have yet to have a problem with my set. There are plenty of other name brands out there to pick from, just avoid the HF ones.

But to answer your question, working for tools is always a great deal! Especially if you do lacquer, have him buy you a gallon, then you will have plenty left over for a project of your own!

Ya you can spray it, clean up with water. You need to know what your doing with water bass products. Most guys who have not used it usually get allot of runs. Keep the mixture about 90/10 and spray very light coats at 1st to see it it is to thin. You can always thin.

Stupid Question :rofl: do I have any other kind??

Can you spray water based Poly with a spray gun?

Yes, I spray Minwax WB poly. Not the best stuff on earth but for this project I think it would do fine. I don't know your normal weather but in regard to concerns over the damp environment; Zinsser B.I.N. primer seals great and can be tinted if you like (it is paper-white out of the can). I have used it as the main colorant and just sprayed a clear poly over it for 'over the toilet' cabinets in a 'blinding white tile' shower area.