Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: projects update

projects update

i picked up some really nice cherry today. enough to finish putting together the coffee table for the fair.

this weekend looks like its going to be nice out. i hope to get the poster frames sanded, and the finishing of them started. that, and the parts for the coffee table too.

i'm pretty sure of how i'm going to finish both the table and the foot stool. i'm working with some samples of the cherry, and definitely going to start with boiled linseed oil (not wanting to run up against the coc, some might think blo could be offensive ), and topped off with coats of clear or amber shellac, or poly. can't wait to see the results.

naturally, there will be pictures of all the fun!

on another front, my wife asked me what i wanted for my birthday (a month and a half from now), and we went looking on craigslist, and i may be getting a planer, nicely wrapped, with a bow on top.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

lucky yu,, gettin presents early,, but yu realize her motive right? she is playing you for a early gift for her..so consider your self warned dan...skip the blo and just go with shellac and the top coat..quicker and looks just as good in my opinion just give it some sun first.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

unless its a really early present larry, she's too late, her birthday was in march...
    benedictione omnes bene

well, it was a pretty nice day for woodworking, if a bit on the breezy side. i got the poster frames sanded (another 2 hrs, we're up to 9 hrs now for that project). i may think about dying them tomorrow.

i've gotten all the parts for the coffee table cut today, now i just have to mark where the inserts, arcs (dems curfd lins larry), and tenons go. then some time this week, cut them.

the pics are: where i was sanding, all the frames sanded, getting ready to cut, all parts ripped to width, all parts cut to size, and all the parts for the coffee table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails start of sanding.JPG   all frames sanded.JPG   start of cutting.JPG   everything ripped to width.JPG   everything cut to length.JPG  

all parts for coffee table.JPG  
    benedictione omnes bene

Nice pics Dan. Did you photoshop the 3rd picture or do you really have that written above your garage?

Also, that lawn is waaaaaaaaay too nice. I'm thinking with the mindset of the current administration you should share the wealth and send some of that green stuff to Oklahoma.

no photoshopping at all. its my brother's sign. he had it in his first garage, and every one since then. when he started working on the 56 last fall, he put it up over our dad's garage door. as far as the lawn goes, you'd have to talk with my dad about that. he babies those blades...
    benedictione omnes bene

terry, i mentioned your remarks to my dad today (i was over to dye the poster frames, see pics), and he chuckled about the house of pain sign, and when i mentioned your comment about his lawn being too nice, he just got this look in his eye, and a big, one sided grin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frames dyed 1.JPG   frames dyed 2.JPG  
    benedictione omnes bene

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    he just got this look in his eye, and a big, one sided grin.
    I'm not for sure which one I'm in love with more, your work or your dad's lawn.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    I think you're milking it on the frames.... I feel bad for your sister when she gets the bill!!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

i told her earlier when i dropped by, that with the dying of the frames, that we're up to 10 1/2 hours into this project. 1 hr for selecting the lumber, 6 hrs for cutting and assembly, 2 hrs for sanding, and 1 1/2 hrs today for dying. adds up pretty quick.

the actual staining should take a couple of hours, and about the same for the shellacing. so we're looking at about 14-16 hrs total.
    benedictione omnes bene