projects update

Dan Noren

Staff member
i picked up some really nice cherry today. enough to finish putting together the coffee table for the fair. :thumb:

this weekend looks like its going to be nice out. i hope to get the poster frames sanded, and the finishing of them started. that, and the parts for the coffee table too. :D

i'm pretty sure of how i'm going to finish both the table and the foot stool. i'm working with some samples of the cherry, and definitely going to start with boiled linseed oil (not wanting to run up against the coc, some might think blo could be offensive :rofl::rofl:), and topped off with coats of clear or amber shellac, or poly. can't wait to see the results.

naturally, there will be pictures of all the fun! :thumb:

on another front, my wife asked me what i wanted for my birthday (a month and a half from now), and we went looking on craigslist, and i may be getting a planer, nicely wrapped, with a bow on top. :rolleyes::D:thumb:

lucky yu,, gettin presents early,, but yu realize her motive right? she is playing you for a early gift for her..so consider your self warned dan...skip the blo and just go with shellac and the top coat..quicker and looks just as good in my opinion just give it some sun first.

well, it was a pretty nice day for woodworking, if a bit on the breezy side. i got the poster frames sanded (another 2 hrs, we're up to 9 hrs now for that project). i may think about dying them tomorrow.

i've gotten all the parts for the coffee table cut today, now i just have to mark where the inserts, arcs (dems curfd lins larry), and tenons go. then some time this week, cut them.

the pics are: where i was sanding, all the frames sanded, getting ready to cut, all parts ripped to width, all parts cut to size, and all the parts for the coffee table.

Attachments

• start of sanding.JPG
    start of sanding.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 57
  • all frames sanded.JPG
    all frames sanded.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 51
  • start of cutting.JPG
    start of cutting.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 66
  • everything ripped to width.JPG
    everything ripped to width.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 45
  • everything cut to length.JPG
    everything cut to length.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 47
  • all parts for coffee table.JPG
    all parts for coffee table.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 49
Nice pics Dan. Did you photoshop the 3rd picture or do you really have that written above your garage?

Also, that lawn is waaaaaaaaay too nice. I'm thinking with the mindset of the current administration you should share the wealth and send some of that green stuff to Oklahoma. :D:D:D

no photoshopping at all. its my brother's sign. he had it in his first garage, and every one since then. when he started working on the 56 last fall, he put it up over our dad's garage door. as far as the lawn goes, you'd have to talk with my dad about that. he babies those blades... :rofl:

terry, i mentioned your remarks to my dad today (i was over to dye the poster frames, see pics), and he chuckled about the house of pain sign, and when i mentioned your comment about his lawn being too nice, he just got this look in his eye, and a big, one sided grin.

Attachments

• frames dyed 2.JPG
    frames dyed 2.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 18
  • frames dyed 1.JPG
    frames dyed 1.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 17
i told her earlier when i dropped by, that with the dying of the frames, that we're up to 10 1/2 hours into this project. 1 hr for selecting the lumber, 6 hrs for cutting and assembly, 2 hrs for sanding, and 1 1/2 hrs today for dying. adds up pretty quick. :D

the actual staining should take a couple of hours, and about the same for the shellacing. so we're looking at about 14-16 hrs total. :thumb:

got another 4.5 hours in on the frames today. got the grain knocked down from the water based dye. got the shellac based sanding sealer on, and when that was dry, hit all 5 frames with the gel stain. i should have some pics to post tomorrow.

hey dan was that breakfast in your bedroom or supper? looks like yu live in there,,had sketchup on the moniter and a meal on the desk area and the wood was sleeping with yu:) no wonder yu get done so fast..:rofl::thumb:

just about done with this project. i did all of the shellac and wax work today. here are the progress pics, various stages of completion, and all 5 frames ready to be fitted with the backing, and plexiglass.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0590.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 13
a couple more pics of the poster frames. the first one is of the first frame being set up with turn buttons, and the other is of all the frames fitted out with backing and turn buttons. all they need now, is the plexiglass and hanging hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 7