Leo the woodworker

ken werner

This is Leo:

This is his woodworking:

I did the casework, he did the carving.
I love that pup. Brings me to new adventures in ww'ing.

Attachments

• Leo.jpg
    Leo.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9227.JPG
    IMG_9227.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9226.JPG
    IMG_9226.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 46
That's obviously not the sweet, kind puppy that Ben dotes on, is it? ;)

I guess now's your chance to see what that pretty cabinet looks like with radiused corners. :)

Very nice looking dog, but his woodworking skills need some fine tuning, you should let him work on some scrap pieces first :D

I guess you will be doing some modification work on that lovely chest.

I do not know if it works for dogs, but a buddy of mine has those long rats, I think they are called Ferrets? He has some stuff you put on things to stop them from chewing, I understand it tastes VERY bitter and one lick and the long rats are not going near it again.

Found it...............

bitter.jpg

Bitter Apple

Cheers!

I do not know if it works for dogs, but a buddy of mine has those long rats, I think they are called Ferrets? He has some stuff you put on things to stop them from chewing, I understand it tastes VERY bitter and one lick and the long rats are not going near it again.

Found it...............Bitter Apple
It works for dogs, in the same sense that pepper spray works for people:
most of them hate it, but some think it's a condiment. :eek:

Oh, FYI, I know one dog personally that absolutely loves the taste of ShellaWax on turnings.

...I do not know if it works for dogs, but a buddy of mine has those long rats, I think they are called Ferrets? He has some stuff you put on things to stop them from chewing, I understand it tastes VERY bitter and one lick and the long rats are not going near it again.

Found it...............

bitter.jpg

Bitter Apple

Cheers!
Like Lee said, one my my previous dogs thought the bitter apple spray was a condiment. :p

Speaking of 'long rats', years ago this same dog (now long departed) and I were visiting my sister for a few days, as was my nephew, who had a ferret with him. My dog was interested in it, but not in a bad way at all. The ferret was caged all day, but at night my nephew would let the ferret roam the house to chase mice.

I spent the first night in a sleeping bag on the floor of the game room, and I woke up early the next morning as my dog (a shepherd cross) came and laid down on my chest, a very unusal thing for her to do. Following close behind her was the ferret, who really wanted to check my dog out. The ferret climbed up and laid down on my dog's back and gently started sniffing her ears. All the while, the dog was face to face with me, her eyes wide with fear, and she seemed to be saying "Dad, there's this really strange-looking dog following me around and I can't seem to get rid of it". :D

RIP, Sheba. :rolleyes:

ken, i mix cayanne pepper with water `till it`s a paste and aply it to chew zones.....never failed yet....

Reminds me of a dog we ONCE had around.:thumb: ;)

He modified the chair rungs on four of a set of six dining room chairs.:(
I still have one of them here in the shop.
Its the best work of that ol chewer. Rung about in two pieces, highly modified legs, etc.
Never seen any work by that ol dog in the magazines though:huh:

Hey Vaughn, yup, one and the same.

He did get started on scrap, out in the shop...maybe that's where I went wrong. The bitter apple does repel him, the problem is predicting what morsel he might want to chew on, I don't really want to put it on all our furniture....

Now my problem is figuring out how to get a new piece of cherry molding to match the color of the old ones. I was able to take the damaged long middle piece and put it on the side, so I only had to replace the middle.

Any ideas about darkening cherry without dye/stain?

And Tod, from what I hear, your dogs could swallow that little cabinet whole....
Ken

I'd get rid of the house before Leo. He's thinking of some "ruff" turning in his future wwing endeavors.

Ken
I like Leo too.
Reminds me of Bishop, he liked rossettes and made his mark on three at least, just like Leo, a real friend.:D Since you have already removed the front piece to make it the side, why not remove all matching pieces and add new molding all around from the same piece. It may look better than trying to match.
Shaz
Add a 1/16"deep saw kerf where the molding and the table meetup. this should add to the ease of finishing, I think.

Great idea Shaz

I hadn't thought of replacing all the molding to match. I don't quite understand where the 1/16 kerf would go. Could you please explain?

Ken