Thread: Grizley OL' BAR' Come a callin'

Grizley OL' BAR' Come a callin'

This strange creature stopped by this afternoon and will be leavin' tomorrow am.

Pix to follow.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Let us know if you need us to call the authorities, Bruce.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Just make sure if its old mad Jack to stay up wind. As I remember he only took a bath once a year & that was when his donkey knocked him in the creek because he couldn't stand the smell any more.

Remembrances of Grizzly Adams.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Sorry Bart - not mad Jack - A Very Tired Larry - headed home.

He had to drive 7.5 hours just to get here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LarryM1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	31912
    Guess what his First request was - War's the outhouse? We're not quite That rural. We do have city water and sewer. 3600 people live in what we like to call our quiet bedroom community.

Sat around for a while chewin' the fat. Showed off some things I've done. (In the back of my mind I KNOW that I'll get a turning tool in his hand)

Went down to the Cave to look around. I used him as an outrigger for my table-saw and made 18 11" X 11"X 8/4 Cherry. Then I started talking up turning - the natural relaxed feeling you get. The quick turn around time to finish a project. You spinny guys know what I'm talking about. even get to the point where I think I can get a tool in his hand! YEAH RIGHT!!!! I find out that the fantastic MR.G. can't get him to fall in so I give up.

Name:	LarryM2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	31913
    We talk some more and I explain that I'm trying something I haven't done before. Combine turning and carving on a lidded box. Well, I got goin' way to fast and screwed up the original idea, or the wood decided it didn't want to be that. It is now going to be a lidded goblet.

Name:	LarryM3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	31911
    Had a nice dinner - LOML is a GOOD cook!

True to form, the country boy was yawnin' by 10:00 pm and we sent him to bed. Up this morning for Bruce's Blue plate special breakfast, then sent him on his way. another 7 plus hours to home. Hope he makes it ok.

Name:	LayyM4.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	31910
    Had a pleasant time with him and appreciate the chance to meet him. (He gave me a hat to say that.)

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

had great time with yu folks bruce,, and listeing to your stories of the past and present was great..you never really know someone till yu set down and listen to there stories,,you cant judge one form the cover its what is inside that counts and shows the true color...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I first read this post very early a.m. yesterday in a pre-caffinated condition and thought ye were really talking about a bear.
    I'm with the program now (sorta) and now know ye really were, but another kind. Good description.
    Looks like y'all had a great visit and I'm sure Larry's trip was success.
    Very sorry we missed him. That's life, we had to leave the day he arrived.
    'Nuther time.

Sounds like a great time Larry. I've meet allot of guys around the country on hunting trips that I have meet on forums and your right about the stories and what is inside the cover.