Thread: couple bowls and a question

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

couple bowls and a question

Hey all i haven't had any time to turn lately,but i did a little today. The first two are some that have been drying for about 3 weeks.The first one is dog wood NE the first NE i have ever tryed.The next is hickory.The third is dogwood burl that is still green and i just turned today.
    The question is does anyone know why dogwood falls a part so easy.It seems like every time i try to turn dogwood it will do this.
    Thanks much
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 032 [800x600].JPG   035 [800x600].JPG   033 [800x600].JPG   034 [800x600].JPG   026 [800x600].JPG  

029 [800x600].JPG   030 [800x600].JPG  

Pretty wood Stephen, nice work!

I love the contrasting colors, always makes me smile.

I have no idea about the dogwood

But there has to be a joke in there somewhere...........

"maybe it's bark is now as good as it's bite...?"
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

All are great looking pieces out of some really nice wood. For your first NE it looks mighty fine. Well done on all.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice work, Stephen. Really like the Natural Edge bowl.
    Sorry, never had any experience with Dogwood; that would be an exotic wood around here. Almost anything but poplar is exotic to us.
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site

It might just be a characteristic of green Dogwood. Dunno. I cut and turn d'wood whenever I can but it is always dry. Dry, it is about as hard a wood as you will find. It's a favorite of those who make mallets for carvers and neanderthals.
    BTW, keep it in a dry spot and free from buggies. It is a favorite of some kind of worm/buggie and will get et up quickly if not protected.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    It might just be a characteristic of green Dogwood. Dunno. I cut and turn d'wood whenever I can but it is always dry. Dry, it is about as hard a wood as you will find. It's a favorite of those who make mallets for carvers and neanderthals.
    BTW, keep it in a dry spot and free from buggies. It is a favorite of some kind of worm/buggie and will get et up quickly if not protected.
    Frank thanks it seems like every piece i try to turn want's to peal apart . think a onion when pealing them.Not sure if it's the tree or me some how.
    Steve

The drying bowls are looking good, Stephen. I've not turned any dogwood, so no help from me on the question, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

had some wood a friend gave me that is very dry........so dry it is like turning concrete and fell apart in some small areas.....rough turned it and then....i thought what the heck and soaked it for 3 days in 1/2 concentrated liquid soap and 1/2 water....(it is a Kent thing...LOL).....started to finish turn it and it cut much nicer but i snapped off the tennon....see my posting for a pic.....but it did cut easier and cleaner than when i first started.........
    Read some where that you can put liquid acrylic floor polish on punky types of areas and it tightes it up for cleaner cutting........but i have not tried this yet.........yet but im always experimenting around with this stuff............Dan

Very nicely done Steve.
    I haven't got up enough nerve to try a NE Bowl yet.

Les
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.