couple bowls and a question

Hey all i haven't had any time to turn lately,but i did a little today.:D The first two are some that have been drying for about 3 weeks.The first one is dog wood NE the first NE i have ever tryed.The next is hickory.The third is dogwood burl that is still green and i just turned today.
The question is does anyone know why dogwood falls a part so easy.It seems like every time i try to turn dogwood it will do this.
Thanks much
Steve

Attachments

• 032 [800x600].JPG
    032 [800x600].JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 035 [800x600].JPG
    035 [800x600].JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 033 [800x600].JPG
    033 [800x600].JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 034 [800x600].JPG
    034 [800x600].JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 026 [800x600].JPG
    026 [800x600].JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 029 [800x600].JPG
    029 [800x600].JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 030 [800x600].JPG
    030 [800x600].JPG
    147 KB · Views: 42
Pretty wood Stephen, nice work!

I love the contrasting colors, always makes me smile.

I have no idea about the dogwood :dunno:

But there has to be a joke in there somewhere...........

"maybe it's bark is now as good as it's bite...?" :huh: :D

Very nice work, Stephen. Really like the Natural Edge bowl. :thumb:
Sorry, never had any experience with Dogwood; that would be an exotic wood around here. :( :dunno: Almost anything but poplar is exotic to us. :p

It might just be a characteristic of green Dogwood. Dunno. :dunno: I cut and turn d'wood whenever I can but it is always dry. Dry, it is about as hard a wood as you will find. It's a favorite of those who make mallets for carvers and neanderthals.
BTW, keep it in a dry spot and free from buggies. It is a favorite of some kind of worm/buggie and will get et up quickly if not protected.

It might just be a characteristic of green Dogwood. Dunno. :dunno: I cut and turn d'wood whenever I can but it is always dry. Dry, it is about as hard a wood as you will find. It's a favorite of those who make mallets for carvers and neanderthals.
BTW, keep it in a dry spot and free from buggies. It is a favorite of some kind of worm/buggie and will get et up quickly if not protected.

Frank thanks it seems like every piece i try to turn want's to peal apart . think a onion when pealing them.Not sure if it's the tree or me some how.:huh:
Steve

The drying bowls are looking good, Stephen. :thumb: I've not turned any dogwood, so no help from me on the question, though.

had some wood a friend gave me that is very dry........so dry it is like turning concrete and fell apart in some small areas.....rough turned it and then....i thought what the heck and soaked it for 3 days in 1/2 concentrated liquid soap and 1/2 water....(it is a Kent thing...LOL).....started to finish turn it and it cut much nicer but i snapped off the tennon....see my posting for a pic.....but it did cut easier and cleaner than when i first started.........
Read some where that you can put liquid acrylic floor polish on punky types of areas and it tightes it up for cleaner cutting........but i have not tried this yet.........yet but im always experimenting around with this stuff............Dan