I got a chance last night to try turning some of my recent elm haul, and I figured some of you guys might like to see some pics of the journey.
Of the two biggest blanks I got out of that wood, one had some cracks already started, so I figured I'd turn it now instead of trying to seal it and hoping the cracking would stop. The blank was about 24" to 25" across at the widest. I had to get LOML's help to mount it on the lathe. I could lift it into place (barely), but I needed her to turn the handwheel to get the faceplate threaded onto the spindle. I'm guessing the blank was in the neighborhood of 90 to 100 pounds. Definitely the biggest diameter and heaviest piece I've turned yet.
Here's a shot showing where I had the remote switch while roughing. (The shop's a mess since I had to rearrange things to turn at the end of the lathe.)
Getting started, using my Monster Oland-style tool and a 1/4" cobalt bit. The 24" handle is filled with lead shot, so it's pretty hefty.
Getting more round...
Starting to look like a bowl. By now, I had switched to the Ci1...
After turning the blank around and facing it a bit, it was clear that cracking might be an issue...
Popped a core out of the blank, but lost a chunk of the edge along the way. (That spot was real punky, and probably would have needed to be turned away anyway.)
More in the next post...