Going Big

Mama mia..... that'sa a big bowl... the biggest I've tried so far is an 11 incher... that was a challenge on my little midi Jet 1442... I do 10 inches fairly regularly now with the box elder I picked up, but not sure it would handle a 90 lbs blank.. also wish had a coring tool... I waste a lot of good wood hollowing.

Vaughn,

I'm fairly certain those joists will hold way more than your back will... ;)

45076.gif
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45076

four american dollars and ninety-nine cents. I know you're laughing right now, and maybe you should be, but that's how I got my dust collecter (and a number of other heavy things) up into the attic of my ga... er, shop. :thumb:
Thanks,
Bill

This rope hoist looks a lot like the fence stretchers my dad used when I was a kid... he's hook one end of a length of barbed wire to the corner post then another end to the stretcher and pull it tight, then walk back along the length to steeple it to the posts between.... you could almost make the wire twang when he got it stretched.

My ceiling is too low to allow me anything like that... I think my ceiling joists are only 7' in my shop.

I have used the same HF "come along" wench thing ( I got ripped off, I paid $8.99 ) to lift a very heavy general planer, and a powermatic lathe. I put a couple of 2x4's on top of an 8' folding step ladder and chained the portable wench around that. The ladder just has to straddle the object you want to lift. Wonder if you could set up the ladder next to or over the lathe and use that system to lift a heavy blank somehow?

I have used the same HF "come along" wench thing ( I got ripped off, I paid $8.99 ) to lift a very heavy general planer, and a powermatic lathe. I put a couple of 2x4's on top of an 8' folding step ladder and chained the portable wench around that. The ladder just has to straddle the object you want to lift. Wonder if you could set up the ladder next to or over the lathe and use that system to lift a heavy blank somehow?
I also used a come-along and ladder trick to put the legs on my lathe. (The come-along is a bit different from the block and tackle Bill linked to.) At least with my 8' stepladder, my lathe would need to be about a foot lower before I could use that method for mounting a blank. By the time you figure for the length of the come-along, the sling, the diameter of the wood blank, and the fact that the couple 2x4s are only about 6' off the ground, I'd need a bigger ladder and a higher ceiling.

Bill, I'll look at the block and tackle next time I'm at HF. I've got a smaller one (a deer hunter's hoist) but the rope it uses is real thin and hard to grip.