The Woodworking Shows 2009 - Review

glenn bradley

Dad and I took in the show today. I was impressed by how many vendors still come out even though so many people do not attend . . . shame on all of you who missed it. Who knows, it may not be there at all if we continue to stay home.

The show was about 1/2 the size of last year which was about 2/3 the size of 2007. We had no trouble seeing the whole show in a few hours. Crowds were light and getting to talk one on one with manufacturers was pretty easy. Although I enjoyed the personal attention, poor attendance will probably kill this thing soon. If I was a vendor I would have a hard time justifying the expense to present to so few participants. OK, I've beat that horse enough ;-)

Lee Valley was giving 10% off, free shipping and paying the state tax. Picked up a butt chisel, some odd sized bradpoint bits, a hook rule and such.

Rockler was handing out $10 cash cards with abandon. The store is a couple offramps from the convention center so we stopped by on the way home and spent some of them. Dad was after a Wixey DRO and no one had them at the show. The Rockler store had 2, so we spent some cash cards. I just got some hardware for some small boxes I am fooling around with. Cards are good till June 7.

Peachtree always shows up with bunches-o-stuff so I start compiling a list after the first of the year. Various DC fittings, a baby-bot, painter's pyramids, router collar spring washers, Rust Free (without having to buy the T-9 kit) and all that sort of thing. Got some misc parts for the Grr-Rippers; one of the cool things about them is you can Frankenstein them to meet your needs.

I don't go to the show primarily to shop but have learned that some stuff always sticks to you before you leave. I had this on my back

The-WW-shows-2009-agg.jpg

but the weight slowed me down and they caught me at the door. Dad was supposed to run interference but he has recently decided to throw himself down the slippery slope and so got distracted by some turning tools on display nearby. Oh well, maybe next year.

Last edited:
Wish I could have joined you guys at the show. Congrats on all the new goodies. (I might have been able to distract them long enough for you to get the bandsaw, with the assumption that I could have your Griz.) You're right about these shows going away if people don't attend.