Jewelry Box

Here is a jewelry box I made at the request of my brother for his daughter's birthday. She will be 7 years old and is starting to get interested in jewelry. The box is about 6"x12" by 4" deep. Did a little inlay on the top and had a friend laser engrave her name in it. The last one is another box I made while I was at it. That one is hinged on the narrow end, the insides are about the same as the first. The first is maple with a chechen lid. The second is maple with a walnut lid. Inlay material is orange wood.

Attachments

• Anna's jewelry box2.jpg
    Anna's jewelry box2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 120
  • Anna's jewelry box3.jpg
    Anna's jewelry box3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Anna's jewelry box.jpg
    Anna's jewelry box.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 119
  • xtra jewelry box.jpg
    xtra jewelry box.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 123
The combination of some very beautiful woods and your artistry makes that box something special. It will be one of her lifetime treasures, for sure. And, being made by her uncle will make it, as said, definitely a family heirloom.
Is the design on the top symbolic of anything special? Even if not, neat.

Barry that box is so nice I had to tell you I came back for a second look.:):thumb:

On Anna's box did you make the base on the table saw to get the moulding edge or is that a piece of moulding? I just love the look of that edge on the box. We usually get so used to square straight down edges. This just sets of the sides and makes the box a richer design.

HTML:
On Anna's box did you make the base on the table saw to get the moulding edge or is that a piece of moulding?
Yea, I did the ol' table saw trick. I started with a wider board and made a very wide shallow cove (as wide as I could get the table saw to cut) then ripped it down the middle to create the side profile.