Thread: Opinion on first SketchUp ( Crib )

Opinion on first SketchUp ( Crib )

Well last night and tonight, Thanks to Dave and Tim's online tutorials, I was able to get working on my first sketchup. Itís of a crib Iím going to start building here hopefully by next week. I was wondering if I could get anyoneís opinions on anything they may wish to point out. The design is a combination of 2 cribs me and my wife like. Crib 1 and Crib 2 I donít have much artistic ability so I based it off of them but there are of coarse some small changes.

What I have left to do after I practice it a bit will be cleaning off where some parts intersect, add all my joints to show how the pieces physically go together, all my routing patterns, and finally to break it out into instructions.

Anyway thanks for any comments

Chris

p.s. unfortunetly my sketchup is to big to upload uncompressed so i'll attach a compressed version if anyone wishes to take a look at it in sketchup but I still have some work left to do in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crib.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Chris,

It looks pretty good. You appear to be learning the program well.

Dave

p.s. when you fix the spindles, remember the Make Unique command. Use it on left/right pairs so you only need edit one side.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Thanks, I think the bezier curves was the most time consuming part.. took a lot of recreating guidepoints till i got it just right. And yea I'll defently unique those spindles. I'll post an update as soon as I finish it up

Chris

Chris, you have a good crib design there and you appear to be doing well with learning Sketchup. Once you settle on a final design and begin redrawing, remember to make each piece of your crib a component in Sketchup. That way you can pull your pieces apart later for viewing and measurement when you begin construction. Ron

Ron, Chris did use components throughout the model.

Chris, you don't neccessarily need guide points for making the Bezier curve. A few guidelines are nice for getting the symmetry right. With a little practice you'll be able to bang out those curves pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 05-05-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Well I've been working on the sketchup as much as i could since my last post but i thought Iíd show a little update with it cleaned up. I've added all the mortise and tendons in the piece that I could think of, got the side spindles correctly shaped with the curve of the top rail, and built the profile onto the rail caps. I did though have a problem with the headboards rail cap profile. The sides came out without a problem but that one had a lot of strange problems with the faces not wanting to orient to the correct position. I'm wondering if itís because I used follow me along the top curve vs. the bottom one.

I'm down to experimenting with that cap, positioning the screw locations. Once thatís done it will be onto the tutorials on Jigs, creating the shop drawing, and printing out templates.

Take care!

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crib.png  

Chris, from what I see in the image it looks nice.

I didn't use the same profile you did but does this image illustrate what you were seeing?

There is a slight difference in the distance between the two curves. Here I've zoomed in on that area. I measured the distance between the two faces that were left over and got 0.004174 in.

Above the rail with the problem is the one I drew. I took your top curve and used Offset to create the bottom one. Connected their ends to get a face and you know the rest. That resulted in a clean Follow Me operation.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 05-06-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Yup that looks like what the problem was.. I wonder if it got out of wack because I made both the bottom and top curves instead of one then duplicating it.. Well Iíve corrected my file by deleting the cap all together and copied the top curve of the piece that sits right under it to make sure they match then used that to recreate the cap.. so far so good! With that done I can get to work on the rest of the stuff on the to-do list.

Thanks a lot!

Chris