Doing Davinci?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody watch Doing Davinci?

I like it to a certain extent, except for the guys that do the wood working.

I understand some of the items they are working with are very big and difficult, but the cavilier attitude they use with measuring the wood and how they make the cuts are driving me nuts!

Sorry Brent I cannot comment we don't get the same Discovery Channel Shows. Someone around does not want us in Canada sharing anything we see with you in the USA or visa versa. Makes no sense to me why there is a Discovery Channel different for USA as to Canada. Went to look it up on the web. We have to settle for some stupid shows at times on our discovery channel and a lot of repeats:mad:. Like Canadas worst Handyman and Canadas worst Driver. :bang: Where these have anything to do with the concept of scientific Discovery I dont know. Then we have a crazy fake South African acting as another Steve Irwin except in the African bush. Man its so setup but if you never seen it you think its real.:huh:

Maybe I should enter the world or pirate satelite tv and see if i can get some of the US stations that are worth watching.;)

Then networks wonder why viewership of TV is dropping and ad spend is dropping off.

Rob, Sorry to hear that. Maybe someday the InterWebs will make us able to share programs world wide. (Thinking Hulu and Youtube). We missed an episode of lost the other week and I actually hooked a laptop PC up to the tv so we could watch the episode we missed...

I still miss being able to see the Red Green show. Don't ask my why!

So far on the show they've made some pretty incredible things from designs that Leonardo Created. Of course they have to do it with modern materials, but even so, seeing some yahoo try and cut accurate joints with a chainsaw on a huge beautiful beam drives me a little nuts.

I supposed I'd like to see them make the machines out of period materials, or at least using period tools, but that would take far more time and money than I think the show can afford.

Yeah you right Brent, if they are going to produce a replica of old they should use the tools of old to demonstrate the effort required and the time it took.

I got to see something similar like this when i visited a Viking Museum in Denmark once. They built a exact replica of a viking boat but first had to develop the tools and materials of the time. This went all the way down to blacksmithing the nails etc. Then they set about testing and evaluating its sailing ability.

Now that to me was how it should be done.:thumb:

I gues budget constraints are the issue in terms of time and film crews.

I didn't watch it but if it went the same way as the rest of the programming they show, it was an hour show with 20 minutes of commercials. With the remaining 40 minutes, 25 minutes is content and the other 15 is hype and repeated statements at to what they are doing. I wish they would do better on the programming.

Last edited:
I've only watched one episode of this, they were making some kind of killing machine that had whirling blades designed to decapitate soldiers and was powered like a chariot, except the horses were behind the machine... they used a remote controlled vehicle in lieu of the horses. Personally, I thought their attitude about the whole thing was kinda of silly... like a bunch of little boys blowing up frogs or something just to be destructive.
And in the end I didn't see that the machine would have been all that effective.. in real time (DaVinci's time) it wouldn't have been that manueverable and if the soldiers merely stepped aside the effect would have been limited.
And you are right.. more commercials and inane banter than I cared for.. if I had been just sitting to watch TV rather than using it as a background noise to my forum, I would have turned out after about 3 minutes.