Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennon issues and up for trade small tools

Tennon issues and up for trade small tools

Below are two bowls that i broke the tennons on today.....
    Pic-1) yellow colored bowl - some type of pine or DF, using a faceplate turned the tennon and rough shape outside....then changed it around and put the tennon into my supernova with spigot jaws and turned the outside with no problem....started to hollow and "snap" then tennon tore off.....using the glue gun in the picture below (allowing 30min heat up) i reattached the tennon on this one and will let it sit overnight and try to turn again...PS this wood is very wet still...........
    Pic-2) Reattached the tennon and would not hold so i used a small square block that will fit into the jaws of the supernova - using the glue gun in the pic i attached it and will try again tomm. This wood is very very dry....
    I have tried Gorilla Glue and cynoacalate both and neither would hold on the above.........so im trying the glue gun to see if it works any better.
    On the dry not sure why it wont hold but the wet may be that the water content migrates back rapidly and just wont hold the bond......

i did sucessfully turn 4 others today without any problem but they were different types of wood

Lastly---------i had some small tools (all are stainless steel) that i got from a guy that i bought my buffing machine from that did alot of miniature work.....i do not need them so i have them up for trade.....posted on the classified section and thought i would add a note here with pics...that if anyone wants to trade for a good blank of wood i am willing..........thanks Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010047 (600 x 450).jpg   P1010048 (600 x 450).jpg   Glue Gun.jpg   Small Tools - 1.jpg   Small Tools - 2.jpg  

Small Tools - 3.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 05-05-2009 at 03:35 AM.

Dan for the newbie could you add a bit more to how this happened. I know it sounds stupid to ask but was it a catch or were you being very agressive or what. Just so I know what to watch out for in future. Were the tennons big enough in relation to bowl size? In the picture they seem small to me but I am a overkill kind of guy. I am looking to feed off your experience.

Thanks.
    cheers

Thanks Rob..........below are a pic of the jaws and chuck......they max out at 2" ............i would not say the cuts are aggressive and i even tried very light cuts on the first one because i knew the wood was very wet....thanks see below

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Nice collection of hemostats! Back in the late 60's and 70's they made great roach clips DAMHIKT
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

LMAO...........

Dan those are some pretty small tenons for the bowl size. I try to make my tenon's at least 1/3 the diameter of the bowl. The smallest tenon I would use would be 2 1/2" on a 8" or smaller bowl. On a 12" and up bowl I use a 4" tenon. I just don't think you have enough wood there to hold by the looks of the pictures.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Dan those are some pretty small tenons for the bowl size. I try to make my tenon's at least 1/3 the diameter of the bowl. The smallest tenon I would use would be 2 1/2" on a 8" or smaller bowl. On a 12" and up bowl I use a 4" tenon. I just don't think you have enough wood there to hold by the looks of the pictures.
    My thoughts also, and pine is really soft and will tear easily anyway... I've used a few pine waste blocks and usually eventually will tear them in half where the jaws of the chuck make an indent into the wood.

Also on your glue, I'm not sure that the glue gun has sufficient strength to handle the torque you put on it... a good wood glue will create a bond that will out last the wood around it... JMHO...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Bernie - Chuck

Bernie.........ya im going to look into changing to the powergrip jaws for my super nova they will go to 3 7/16, bowl jaw set are all different sizes but the larger 5" jaws are from 4 3/16-5", the 4" bow jaws are 3 1/16-3 3/4 but im going to call them first to see that i get the best jaws for the supernova i can........Any thoughts........i have a Jet 1642, 16" swing.........

Chuck........what kind of glue do you use to hold your blocks on ??
    i have tried CA,Hot glue, Titebond III, gorilla glue...........anything better you or anybody using ??
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 05-06-2009 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mosley View Post
    Bernie.........ya im going to look into changing to the powergrip jaws for my super nova they will go to 3 7/16, bowl jaw set are all different sizes but the larger 5" jaws are from 4 3/16-5", the 4" bow jaws are 3 1/16-3 3/4 but im going to call them first to see that i get the best jaws for the supernova i can........Any thoughts........i have a Jet 1642, 16" swing.........

Chuck........what kind of glue do you use to hold your blocks on ??
    i have tried CA,Hot glue, Titebond III, gorilla glue...........anything better you or anybody using ??
    I usually use a Titebond type of glue.. I'm not particular to a brand.. usually whatever is inexpensive and available at whatever store I happen to be in when I pick it up... I usually go to Lowe's, but have also bought at Wally-world and at my local no-name hardware store.
    Just make sure you have good clean flat surfaces and I clamp overnight before trying to turn.
    On the chuck jaws, I have two of the Barracuda's from PSI that I use.. the largest tenon I can clamp on is about 2 3/4.. I need to pick up another set of jaws - I think PSI calls them Nr. 3 that will allow me a larger tenon... especially now that I'm turning larger bowls.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

On my Vicmarc or actually the $99 Grizzly Vic clone I have the 4" jaws. Here are the ones I use. They go from 3 5/16" to 4 3/4".

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...fourjaw-vic100
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.