2 small tables-end grain lamp/end table, small storage coffee table

allen levine

Im working on both at once.
Coffee table-birch top, walnut breadboard ends, walnut legs, rails, stiles, and I want to use ash raised panels for doors and walls. Dont know how to make raised panels, dont own a bit for it, but I figured its time to get one and give it a shot.
Top is glued up, bowed a bit, made some things difficult, but Ill post after I figure out the breadboard ends, alot tougher than I imagined. Alot tougher.

End grain table-20x20 by 18 inches high. Holds a lamp, and a telephone, sits in between a sofa and chair.
Used alot of different woods, some Im not sure what they even were.(must be assorted soft maples)
going to finish the top with tung oil mix.
Legs are 2x2 by 16.5 inch maple. Legs were made with small taper on 2 sides. I used a jig I once made, simple, just had to readjust it.
Im so concerned about hands, I ran part of a clamp through the blade, good thing it wasnt metal.
Apron is some kind of maple, I put a pic up, the one where the legs are laying on top of it. Not 100% sure what it is, just looked nice.

Attachments

• wood stuff 800 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 800 (Medium).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 89
  • wood stuff 801 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 801 (Medium).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 96
  • wood stuff 802 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 802 (Medium).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 91
  • wood stuff 804 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 804 (Medium).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 83
  • wood stuff 805 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 805 (Medium).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 84
  • wood stuff 806 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 806 (Medium).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 81
  • wood stuff 807 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 807 (Medium).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 83
Apron is some kind of maple, I put a pic up, the one where the legs are laying on top of it. Not 100% sure what it is, just looked nice.

:eek::eek::eek: Thats curlie maple my friend, you need to use that for a top, or somewhere it can be seen. That is some nice curlie to boot :eek: next to that :rolleyes: looking good Allen

I didnt get to the breadboard ends today, sorry. Bad morning. Wasnt feeling well, made a mess on the tablesaw, felt better, but I decided to sand down the end grain table top. 3 hours, even broke out the 40 year old sunbeam, cause no matter what I used, including hand block and 60 grit, I could not get marks out of the same type of wood. I believe its very old white oak, and all I did was make slight valleys trying to sand out the spots. I didnt put any finish on it, just some mineral spirits to show the marks. Im open for any suggestions, sanding doesnt seem to take them out, it goes deep into the wood. Any other burn marks came out instantly with the orbital and 80 grit discs.

rounded over the edges of the legs, used Kreg pocket system, quick, simple, done, waiting for finish, or first gotta figure out how to get rid of marks.

My first cut to trim the end grain top to size, was a disaster, I cut it straight, but not square. So then I had to square it all up, and its evident from end grains blocks on top, one end is smaller, but its all squared up. My wife didnt notice it. I had to show her. she wants the coffee table the same top, she loves the look. Told her I cant do it, I have to play with breadboards.

btw, I flipped each piece over when I cut the final strips the same way, so the pattern was consistent and repeating.

I used all that ugly wood for the aprons, I had cut it up, didnt want to use it as kindling in my neighbors fireplace next winter.

the marks on the end grain, are almost identical, is it possible the wood had some kind of dark stain running through it?
It doesnt sand out, no way, no nothing.

Attachments

• wood stuff 812 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 812 (Medium).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 67
  • wood stuff 811 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 811 (Medium).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 58
  • wood stuff 810 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 810 (Medium).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 55
  • wood stuff 809 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 809 (Medium).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 63
  • wood stuff 808 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 808 (Medium).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Allen,

Looks real good to me. I think the dark areas in those pieces are just stain in the grain. Not to worry. It is a good looking table. :thumb:

(Yeah, and that "ugly" wood looks good hidden down on the sides too.) :rofl:

Good job.

I gotta try that someday.

Aloha, Tony

OK so you used that ugly wood for the aprons :rolleyes: well at least you left them large and close to te edge so they can at least be seen :rofl: Hey the table is really lookin quite good Allen, nice job :thumb:

thanks tom, I always appreciate and value a comment from you.

Yeah, I made those aprons 4 inches, and pushed them right to the edge.
(too bad I cut up some of those long boards of that)

allen yu dun good again my friend:D:thumb: those dark spots in the oak is mineral stain its common in oak and white oak as well.. that table looks sharp sometimes you cant sand out what mother nature gave us and sometimes there is a reason not to .. this was one of them in my book:thumb:

thanx larry, I went out and put the first coat of formsbys tung oil mix on top.
(I didnt think those marks were coming out)

same stuff dan, another table, Ill make those breadboard ends or use 300 bf of wood trying too.

Great job on the table Allen. I build a series of mission style tables for Cathie several years ago. I took the tops to the local cabinet shop and for 10 bucks they ran them through the BIG belt sander. They came out FLAT! Best 10 bucks I ever spent:thumb:

this end grain table is very flat, just one or two slight offs due to the persistant sanding of the spots, but unless someone is looking for it, its even hard to feel.
I wish I could find guys willing to do little chores like that around here for a reasonable price.

who wants stinky breadboard ends anyway

I wasted 3 bf of walnut. Not even salvagable, but I got a result today.
I didnt peg them yet, frustration levels were running very high after I had to recut, joint, plane, one piece 3 times.
Ofcourse, the bit cracked during the process of the last one, so I had to run back to the tool guy.
And the end result is just too much handling of a tabletop in a small enclosed area. A small piece chipped off, the other side the last 1/2 inch must have moved on the sled, even though I had it all clamped down, so forget breadboard ends in the future. Way too much work, and the results are only mediocre, Im not cutting a new table top, and Im not cutting this one down any further.)pic 815 is just a tiny tap of the top, and a piece chipped off, maybe the day before yesterday)
The other end grain top, just what it looks like with second coat of formsbys TO rubbed on.

The pics show the walnut I wasted, and I know everyone has seen a broken bit. Just a costly piece for something I wont be happy with.
I did learn alot about router table function, so that was a plus.

all in all, its been a good learning experience. lost 24 bucks in wood, and 22 bucks on a bit, and that was just for the coffee table top. Cant wait to attempt to make raised panels. Whooooopppppdiiiiii do..............................probably blow enough ash to start a barn fire.....hehehehe.

oh yeah, on the breadboard ends, since the table top was warped a bit.I laid it opposite, and ofcourse it moved back a bit. almost straight and flat again.
I cut about a 3/8 inch tenon, but flush with the bottom side only, could only get that side straight in the sled.
I cut the mortise with the upspiral bit, not centered on the ends. There is about a 3/16, slightly less than a 1/4, inch over on the bottom side, the top is flush. I dont think it will be noticed, and I can tap the ends on and it helps straighten out the top.

Attachments

• wood stuff 813 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 813 (Medium).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 24
  • wood stuff 814 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 814 (Medium).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 25
  • wood stuff 815 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 815 (Medium).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 23
  • wood stuff 816 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 816 (Medium).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 23
  • wood stuff 817 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 817 (Medium).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
That's a really nice looking table Allen. After drilling and hand chiseling dozens of mortises trying to get better at it, I've decided pocket hole screws are the way to go. ;)

they work for certain things. I wouldnt trust them on a very heavy dining table or cabinet. I personally dont think anything beats a good mortise and tenon joint, or dovetail joint.