2 small tables-end grain lamp/end table, small storage coffee table

a bit of progress today, boiler shut down, had to spend most of the day with the plumber.Oak ply for the bottom, its all I had. did not attach the top.

Attachments

• wood stuff 859 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 859 (Medium).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 21
  • wood stuff 860 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 860 (Medium).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 25
  • wood stuff 861 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 861 (Medium).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 20
oh ohh:rolleyes: i think i see one tiny sliver out place on the sides allen you had better get out the sand paper:) naw jist joshun ya bud.... you done it again you super hero:) norm gonna get jealous pretty soon:thumb:

I sanded the walnut to 220 grit tonight, outside only, inside will sand off with 80 grit only.
Im going to rub 2 coats of formsbys tung/poly mix, although others have said its not really tung at all, thats what I have, and thats what getting rubbed onto the walnut twice, will lightly sand in between coats at 320, will sand off the stained maple with 400 grit lightly, then after each coat of tung mix dries for a couple of days, I will rub on 50/50 mix of cabots polyurethane gloss/mineral spirits on entire table. Top will get 10-12 rub on coats,(can rub on 2 coats a day, letting dry overnight then sand) sides will get 4-5, with light 320 hand sanding at every 2 coats of rubbed on poly mix.
thats the best I can do, no spray equipment, and my brushing of poly just doesnt work, with all the poly rules of use, and varathane brushes, so Im sticking with rub on, I got plenty of time.

thanx all for the positive words.

(I sanded off the burn marks on the breadboard end also tonight)

btw, I would like to mention I dont believe, or not sure, if Cabot's endorsed cutting its product to be rubbed on, so any finish I end up with has nothing to do with Cabots product. I believe in my short time woodworking, Cabot's products are superior to most products, and my own experimentation in no way reflects the quality of their great products.

Last edited:
Make sure you post a warning Allen so that we can put our sun glasses on so we are not blinded by the finish. :rofl: One of these days I'm gonna have to try a rub on finish.

I could not find the hinges I wanted at HD, I would have liked to size up the doors to the best of my ability, Ive never made an inset door, but I ordered hinges today, should be here in a few days.
Im pretty sure Im going to figure out how to cut my own two small pull knobs/handles, or at least have fun trying.

The doors should be interesting for me. (I read Mr. Bradley post somewhere hes uses pennies to set them in, and although I joked about it, I picked it up in his post, so it sounds like a good idea to set them with)

if anyone is still following this build, I received the hinges, so I fitted the doors today, now I will just rub on some formsbys and poly mix.
2 of each onthe unit, formsbys and poly mix, and I think its done. As you can see in the close ups, I tried to let it dry outside today, covered under tent, but I got alot of dust on it when I attempted to fit doors.
Ill wipe it down again before it dries.
When setting the doors, I wanted to match the gaps on both sides, so I saw how much gap there was with hinges on, and tried eagle eye to match it up other side. I used pennies to set top and bottom heights. ONce the top is on, and the inside is dark, I dont think anyone will notice any of that.I have nice darkened/antique knobs, for pulls, but I will keep playing with mahogany and see if I can come up with a knob.
I made one set yesterday, my wife said toss it, so I did.

since I was wiping this morning, I wiped on a coat of Messemers deck treatment oil on my outdoor ipe furniture. First I lightly sanded the arms and seat, then I sprayed it off with the garden hose, dried it in sun, then wiped on the oil. It snaps the color right back to life. 3 times a year.

Im struggling out in the heat today, didnt realize when I was told to avoid heat while on Mestinon, someone must have meant it.
Ill rub some coats today, and I want to build a small wood holder for my Ashley Iles chisels, figured they deserve a rack instead of being tossed around with the tools in the drawer.

Attachments

• wood stuff 862 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 862 (Medium).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 25
  • wood stuff 863 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 863 (Medium).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 25
  • wood stuff 864 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 864 (Medium).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 21
  • wood stuff 865 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 865 (Medium).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 22
  • wood stuff 866 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 866 (Medium).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 25
  • wood stuff 867 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 867 (Medium).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Im going to use the advice Rennie and Larry gave me a few builds ago, and take out my biscuit cutter and put a few slits along the upper rails and use the z shaped clips. I bought a bag of 100 last time, so whenever I need to attach a top I have them(solid wood tops)

Last edited:
You mean the tool every one has but doesn't use for some reason?:dunno::doh: I just used mine again today to make alignment slots for some pieces that can be taken apart if need be. Sure makes life simple.

Last edited:
if anyone is still following this build..........

Nope:rolleyes::D:rofl::rofl::rofl: of course your build is being followed silly man:p and it sure is lookin just fine :thumb: I used the penny trick on all of my cab drawer fronts, don't remember who suggested that on another thread but it is a dandy :thumb: Keep up the fine work Allen:thumb:

thanx again, Ive never made a set of inset doors, it seems to be fitting fine, Im pretty sure Ill use them on the entertainment and shelving unit Im going to build.
I know its all square and plain, so Im thinking Im going to incorporate a bit of milling of certain beads or something into the rails or walls, and perhaps try to put in some curves.

see! that's what happens when you open new avenues allen! :thumb: first its raised panels, now its details on the frames and such, who knows what paths our good intentions will lead you down? (hopefully not to the spinny place :rofl:)

keep up the good work allen!

...and perhaps try to put in some curves.

A table top lathe is in my woodworking purchases before this year ends.

Hey fellas! Looks like we got us another one! :p

I finally got caught up on this thread tonight Allen, and man, what a learning adventure. Great job so far, and you're real close to the finish line now. :thumb: And just so you don't feel too lonely, pretty much all of us have dealt with (and still deal with) the same types of frustrations on a project, especially one where we're doing a lot of new techniques. Part of the challenge of woodworking is being able to recover from those types of fumbles gracefully. And you're doing a very admirable job on those recoveries. :clap:

A table top lathe is in my woodworking purchases before this year ends.

no allen dont think such evil thoughts or i will have to take you outa my will:) we need all the flat folk we can get,, so dont be jumpin ship on us when the battle is gettin close:rofl: and we all know that dan can use all the help he can get to ward off those spinny guys:) exspecailly when the big guns start showun up here (Vaughn) making deals:) you know you have got something to offer when the enemy stops in to visit:D