Hanging out my Shingle........

How's about Green Meanie Enterprises, or Big Blue Builders, Logging to Lumber LLC. or lots of other things we could name you based on how we know you. Could even be Dungeon Bowling. My fist business name was Bonyfingers Woodworks and Crafts. We dropped that name when I went to the LLC. Now it's Hager's Custom Woodworks LLC

Good luck with the name.

Stu, May I add my congratulations on your new venture! Go get 'em!! We've had the same evolution from working out of the garage to bigger and better things. Although we are still working out of (a) garage, it's a bigger and separate building on the property.

One thing to keep in mind - not to throw any cold water - do the zoning laws where you live allow you to operate a business from your home? I'd check that quickly, if I were you.

As a home-business operator, we are allowed to do so as long as we don't have a bunch of customers coming into and out of our property all the time. We've solved that by going TO most of our customers--for design meetings, deliveries, etc. That keeps the zoning police at bay, since we are zones for residential only.

Have you worked up a business plan?

Just some thoughts.

Nancy

Yes Nancy the zoning laws here in Japan, are...........flexible......... in you know what I mean ;) That is the least of my worries.

Working on a plan

Stu,

You're over-complicating things...go buy a hanko and a pad of invoices and you've got a company! :rofl: I used to buy mine at that area over by the art/stationary city next to Ochanomizu.

You write an invoice out, which doesn't have any address on it, but it's official and has a hanko on it...the person you did the work for files it in their taxes possibly, ok. I've used invoices as such for customs, shipping companies (Kintetsu), Japanese Corporations/LLCs, etc...

Better yet, if you must start a company, start a Canadian company. :rolleyes: When I lived in Japan, you were allowed U.S. $80,000 tax free for living overseas. I was required to file that in the U.S. Canada might have a similar allowance for income produced while living on foreign soil, could be worth checking out, IMO. This is where it's best to leverage your status as a Gaijin and keep your distance from the Japanese system.

Personally, I would not get too close to the Japanese business system (and I didn't when I lived there ;) ). Before you know it, they'll be 10-yen-ing you to death (but it will be like Ichi-man-ing you to death :eek: ). All of our milage varies.

Gail, I love that one!! :thumb:

you just put a big stu-pid grin on my face!! :rofl:

Stu,
My best Man (I was his also) is named Stuart Card. He used to have an engineering firm called Card Associates, Research and Development who specialized in electrical engineering. So when he would meet a client, he would hand them his Card C.A.R.D. card.

none of that helps you with naming Your company, but I just love telling that tale. ;D

Stu, I would go with something like "anything for a dollar" (or yen), but the best thing to do is go with what your wife says, you will be happier (believe me on this one:thumb: ). Good luck and like ours have said get every in writing, especially if you are putting up your own money.

Stu,

Your MIL has problems at her appartments.....you are offering ...solutions.
You need things built at the Liquor Shop. You can build ......solutions.
You find a need in the market place for a certain product. You can research and supply.....solutions.
Someone has a need for advice (consulting) on something that you can give...a solutions.

"Albett Solutions"

Last edited:
Stu,

Your MIL has problems at her appartments.....you are offering ...solutions.
You need things built at the Liquor Shop. You can build ......solutions.
You find a need in the market place for a certain product. You can research and supply.....solutions.
Someone has a need for advice (consulting) on something that you can give...a solutions.

"Albett Solutions"

Good thing you said "Ablett Solutions" otherwise if it were Stu Solutions.....some kids with cans of paint might mark on his jobsite signs a "pid" in there somewhere. :rofl:

Stu,

Seems to me you could work 'tomorrow' into the name somewhere.

Stumorrow? :rofl:

Best of luck in your new venture. $5,000 to set up an LLC?!?!?!:eek: When I set up mine last year (Idaho) it cost me a whopping $100! I made that back not having to pay sales tax on my new band saw and drill press.

Congrats on the new adventure, Stu. I was starting to wonder when you were finally gonna find something to do with all your spare time. :rolleyes:

Howasbout MILFH* Enterprises? :rofl:

* Mitsubishi
Isuzu
Lexus
Fujitsu
Honda

or...

Man
I
Feeling
Helpful

how do yo usay "maple leaf" in Japanese,