oak
DSCF5333.jpg

DSCF5335.jpg

DSCF5336.jpg

red mallee burr (3/4 special )
DSCF5337.jpg

DSCF5338.jpg

Last edited:
thank you for all of your kind comments, they mean allot to me.

Larry: i use a mixture of hollowing tools

some home made ellsworth style ones- for working through small holes 5/8" to 1" the shafts are 1/2" silver steel ( i think you guys call it drill rod??) then the tips are glued in with ca and are high speed steel with 10% cobalt
DSCF4945.jpg

then heres my main tools- left to right hamlet's big brother shaft but with a little brother tip- then the other three are melvyn firmager's angle tools, which will also work through small holes like the ellsworth but will get me to places the ellsworth cant. the hamlet is for bigger holes and if i can get it in will hollow out the wood very quickly.
DSCF4850.jpg

Nathan: it was done with a pyrograph machine- i was going to carry on all the way up but its getting such good commments as it is i might leave it.

Vaughn: i use a reciprocating proxon carver with flexcut blades to mark out the inital lines then a mixture of rotary burrs in a die grinder and lots of sanding.

George,
Those are beautiful pieces... love the forms on all of them.
I'm not a fan of the pyrography on the first one though... I think it detracted from a beautifully formed piece. The spalted beach is really interesting almost like a garlic bulb... great work.