Spindle work tools..........?

Stuart Ablett

OK the DoPa guys have contacted me, they want to do another Photo shoot, I guess I sell magazines? :rolleyes:

This time around, they want me to do some spindle work on the lathe, they want me to turn some table legs.

I don't really have a lot of experiance at spindle work, but this is a great excuse to get an extention for the DVR, and some spindle work, not to mention maybe a bit of free press for my new company..... :rolleyes:

What would you all suggest for spindle work?

I have the P&N Roughing gouge, and a P&N 1 1/8" Skew, other than that, I do not have any spindle tools.

I'm thinking three spindle gouges, 5/16", 3/8", 1/2" and a smaller Skew 1/2"?

What about this Skewchigouge thing, or the Raffan Spearpoint tool?

Need some input here, I'm going to place an order at Woodcraft, as they still carry (I hope) the extention for the DVR-3000, the local importer does not.

Thanks.

Stu.....I've got a 3/4" roughing gouge and a 3/8" spindle gouge. Just a week ago I bought a Pinnacle mini set to gain access to a 1/8" and 1/4" spindle gouge. I'm turning some bubinga knobs for a dresser for a guy in Seattle and I wanted acess to that 1/4" spindle gouge. The only reason I needed it was the extemely tight radius behind the body of the knob. The 1/8" spindle gouge might come in handy but I wouldn't extend it much over 1/4" beyond the tool rest....can you say "snap" boys and girls?

Stu,

Do you have a round point scraper? They are nice (and easy) to use for inside and outside work. For spindle work I mostly use a roughing gouge, a skew, a detail gouge and the Spearpoint tool you mentioned, which Henry Taylor sells as a parting tool.

Well Stu, About a month age I got a deal on Sorby's Spindlemaster. If you want to see how good it is, go to their site and in the Clips section, click on Spindlemaster and see what they did with PINE! I just did the same this morning making a jam chuck. The cut looked like glass!

Bruce