another 'puter question

Frank Fusco

I know this is a ww list but we have some really sharp computer types here and their help can be invaluable.
Current puzzlement:
My wife's computer, a PC using XP and IE.
Recently started giving fits when trying to get on Internet. Bar at top comes up saying add ons are disabled.
I have seen this before and all that has been necessary is to right click, select "enable add ons", click and problem is solved.
No way, Hosea, not now. There is no 'enable add ons' option shown.
Going to tools and 'manage add ons', the only choices are for individual add ons. A choice to enable all isn't there.
I have used 'restore' to two different dates, way before this problem manifested and same problem still presents. :huh:
Before calling the $64.00 per hour fix-it girl, I'm seeking help from y'all.
And, please no advice to use Linux, Firefox, whatever. :rolleyes:

Before calling the $64.00 per hour fix-it girl, I'm seeking help from y'all.
And, please no advice to use Linux, Firefox, whatever. :rolleyes:

What about, "Go by a MAC"? :D

Sorry Frank, I couldn't resist...I know how frustrating computer's can be...hope you get it worked out soon.

...And, please no advice to use Linux, Firefox, whatever. :rolleyes:

I'm on fire...but no water, please. :D

Sorry, I don't know what might be the cause or solution to the problem you're seeing. If you could post the exact error message you're seeing, and the steps you're going through when they show up, someone might have more ideas to help.

Sounds like a corrupt update of IE, or windows itself, but most likely IE.

Since you said don't tell you to switch to firefox...I wont :D

I'm on fire...but no water, please. :D

Sorry, I don't know what might be the cause or solution to the problem you're seeing. If you could post the exact error message you're seeing, and the steps you're going through when they show up, someone might have more ideas to help.

The only error message is a page, in place of my home IE page, that says my add-ons are disabled.

The only error message is a page, in place of my home IE page, that says my add-ons are disabled.

Sorry, but that tells us nothing. ;) What steps are you going through to get the error, and what is the exact message? Also, what is the home page set to be?

Sounds like you got that latest worm. My computer has been down for the count for the past two weeks. It took out my accessories like my mouse, monitor and keyboard before I got it stopped (I think). I have been online since 1994 and this was the first time I had to pay to have my computer redone by an expert. Hope you don't have what mine had.

Sheep...computers is there not ONE aspect of my life not disrupted by worms?

Sorry, but that tells us nothing. ;) What steps are you going through to get the error, and what is the exact message? Also, what is the home page set to be?

I can't quote the exact words but it doesn't say much more than that. At the end it does give a link for information about add-ons. I have gone to the link many times but the information only tells how to able/disable individual pages for add-ons, not a general thing.
Her home page is Yahoo.
But, now it gets really interesting.
Yesterday, she went to the local library to use the public computers since hers isn't working. Same problem there. When she asked the library tech guy what was wrong he said she was using the wrong Yahoo server.
Now, that doesn't make any sense to me. He might be right, he is the expert, I'm not. But, I don't know how one would even choose which Yahoo server to use or not use. Personally, I think the statement is completely nerts. At the same time, we cannot ignore the fact that the same problem occured at a completely different computer with a different ISP and everything.
If I'm wrong, straighten me out, please.
Want more confusion? Here 'tis:
Wife comes home, sits down at her computer and boots. Up comes 'net connection at Yahoo home page, and elsewhere, just fine.
There is the usual warning bar at the top telling her that add-ons are disabled but......it works. :huh: Go figger.
I'm only wondering.....wats next? :dunno:

I know enough about computers to stay away from .exe like I stay away from hand grenades.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've seen times when the link to IE gets a bit confused and runs with the "-extoff" option. Someone I spoke to also said that the shortcut itself could be off. Deleting the shortcut and recreating it fixed the problem for them. If you just start IE from the Run command and everything works, then we'll at least have a direction to go. If it still doesn't work, well, the worst thing that's happened is that we know what's not wrong with your computer. ;)

Frank,
This won't solve your problem or help the situation but when we run into computer problems, I always remember a quote by Art Bucholtz... "Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, trouble is, a lot of the things computers make it easier to do, don't need to be done." :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've seen times when the link to IE gets a bit confused and runs with the "-extoff" option. Someone I spoke to also said that the shortcut itself could be off. Deleting the shortcut and recreating it fixed the problem for them. If you just start IE from the Run command and everything works, then we'll at least have a direction to go. If it still doesn't work, well, the worst thing that's happened is that we know what's not wrong with your computer. ;)

That didn't work. But, magically, IE came back and it worked fine.....for about a day. Then lost again....then back. Then lost connection with our wireless router. I did a restore to last week and all (seems) well again. But, I intend to take it to an expert and get it formated so we can start fresh.

Frank, maybe you could paste the address your wife is trying to go to and see if one of us could replicate the error?

This probably won't fix the problem, but it never hurts to restart the router when weird internet issues occur. This can be done either by using the admin software page or just cycling power.

What version of IE and XP are you using?

If it happened at the library and your home, it is likely not an issue on your end, but maybe Yahoo is having a problem.

Does it work right if your wife just starts at www.yahoo.com and then mouse navigates to whatever place she wants?