How To Turn a Box

Originally posted here.

this is how i do my box's - everyone has there own way- this isn't meant to be "the only way" or "you must do it this way" just a brief guide, as always find which way/tools work for you.

for this "how to" I used a very old piece of African blackwood which i have had in my house for several years, I would normally rough out the blank first to ensure that the fit of the lid stays as you left it but this blackwood wont move and i wanted to show the whole process.

This blank is 3" square by 5" long
DSCF5183-1.jpg

knocked into the round
DSCF5184-1.jpg

I forgot to take a pic but mark out the lid from the base and part them through with a very thin parting tool

heres the lid mounted in my chuck
DSCF5185-1.jpg

I hollowed out the inside using a spindle gouge on its side- then cut a female rebate this must have parallel sides if the lid is to make a good fit- sand a finish the inside now
DSCF5186-1.jpg

DSCF5187-1.jpg

mount the base in the jaws
DSCF5188-1.jpg

make a male tenon to fit the lid- at this stage you want to jam fit the lid onto the base to make the outside of the lid- i take a core out of the centre of the base at this point
DSCF5191-1.jpg

jam the lid on but make sure its not too tight as you cant remove it once the lids sanded :roll:
DSCF5190-1.jpg

heres the lid shaped-
DSCF5192-1.jpg

DSCF5193-1.jpg

while its jammed on work on the base- at this point you can see the whole form which helps with proportions etc
DSCF5195-1.jpg

I've now sanded to 800 grit
DSCF5197-1.jpg

DSCF5198-1.jpg

apply some lemon oil- here the oil is still wet, its such a dense wood it will stay wet for a few seconds
DSCF5201-1.jpg

here i've applied u-beaut eee by cloth, this helps when i will buff it later- you could leave it like this if you wish but the buffing will remove the very fine radial sanding marks that a cloth wont
DSCF5206-1.jpg

before you take the base out of the chuck remember to ease the fit of the lid with avery sharp skew and very fine cuts- a fraction of a shaving will make the difference between to tight and just right so take your time.

make a jam chuck from a bit of scrap wood- this is good lid fitting pratice.
DSCF5207-1.jpg

jam the base on and clean away the dovetail hold- sand and finish the base at this stage.
DSCF5210-1.jpg

now mount a jacobs chuck in the headstock and using a 6" loose leaf mop go over the box with a tiny bit of eee applied to the mop- hang on tight and only use the bottom quarter of the mop (between 6 and 9)keep a dedicated mop for each polish you use don't mix and match
DSCF5211-1.jpg

DSCF5212-1.jpg

next i mount another mop in the pigtail and apply u-beaut shellwax cream-this leaves a very high hard wearing shine which i like on dark woods
DSCF5214-1.jpg

I hope this is of some help- any questions just ask, if you don't want to ask here drop me a pm

Last edited by a moderator: