breif how to goblet-again!!

this is how i do my goblets - everyone has there own way- this isnt meant to be "the only way" or "you must do it this way" just a breif guide, as always find which way/tools work for you.

I started with a blank of light coloured Elm 9" long by 2 1/2" diameter
DSCF5157-1.jpg

DSCF5159-1.jpg

I marked out the bowl section and the base using the golden rule (1/3rd to 2/3 rds) as a guide
DSCF5160-1.jpg

heres the bowl roughed out
DSCF5161-1.jpg

a bit more defined- at this stage i stop on the outside and hollow out the inside
DSCF5162-1.jpg

I use a spindle gouge on its side to hollow out- this bowl is about 3" deep- if your learning i would advise you to not go any deeper than 2" until you get the hang of end grain hollowing.
DSCF5163-1.jpg

here it is hollowed out- before sanding
DSCF5164-1.jpg

DSCF5165-1.jpg

DSCF5166-1.jpg

I sand this section now as you cant come back to it once the stem is started- here it is sanded and oiled
DSCF5168-1.jpg

I start to shape the stem
DSCF5171-1.jpg

here the stem and base are complete
DSCF5175-1.jpg

DSCF5176-1.jpg

and here it is after being sanded and oiled
DSCF5178-1.jpg

and here it is done- i dont revesrse turn goblets - I part them of then clean up the base by hand
DSCF5179-1.jpg

DSCF5182-1.jpg

I really like this design- i might make several similar to play around a bit more with the proportions though.

I hope this is of some help- any questions just ask, if you dont want to ask here drop me a pm :D

Excellent stuff, George. Both the tutorial and the finished product look great. I dropped a copy of your post over in the Tips and Tuts section. :thumb: