Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a sprayer?

Recommend a sprayer?

I'm a hobbyist... I turn out 3-4 big projects per year. The one I'm finishing now is a diamond pattern wall hanging wine rack...http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks/203.asp

Actually, I've made two of these to fit in a nook in our wine grotto. Anyway, I'm really happy with how they turned out and I started using water based poly to finish but I quickly found it very difficult to be brushing the poly in the deep crevices of each opening. Even with a long brush handle, it is very hard to apply nice even strokes.

I have always been reluctant to invest in a sprayer but this project may be the perfect catalyst for such an expense. Would anyone mind recommending a medium quality sprayer for a hobbyist? Again, we're talking about something I'd use a few times a year.. doesn't have to be industrial strength.

Thanks in advance!
    -dan

Hi,

For my sake, I hope you get some good answers for me to read.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

i`ve known folks to recomend the portercable gravity feed hvlp, but i`ve not used it?
    http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-P.../dp/B00005R1IK
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

i was taught on one of those that tods shows and have had good success with it,, have sprayed stain , shellac. and lacguer with it.. have a wagner hvlp set that can be gotten for around $100 to $200, and have used stain , poly and lacquer threw it.. worked well.. but i went with porter cable afterwards becasue of the smaller cup size..will try to find the link for the wagner.. they were sold threw gleem paint sales...
    http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunw2qr.html this what i have from gleem
    Last edited by larry merlau; 05-08-2009 at 11:27 AM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Recommend a sprayer?

I have a couple of similar outfits Larry shows, but not the HVLP versions. I liked working with them for truck painting and overall paint jobs.

But I see one problem you might have with spraying your project. If it is all assembled, and the holes are blind, you are going to get a lot of "blowback" when trying to spray into them. Even at the lowest pressures, it is going to be hard to lay a nice coat down in there.

Can you spray your finish on the rack itself before final assembly? I believe that way you will get a much better finish on the insides.

Just thinking of my past experiences in trying to paint into holes.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    i`ve known folks to recomend the portercable gravity feed hvlp, but i`ve not used it?
    http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-P.../dp/B00005R1IK
    Thank you Tod and others for the responses... I was also looking at this porter cable gravity sprayer since it received a ton of great reviews online.

I suppose my next newbie question is what type of air compressor / pump do I use to power it?

tony has some good points,, can yu leave the back of it off? and then yu could possibly spray from both sides... but david uses a lot of tung oil for his stuff, which can be applied by rag rather than spraying..

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Baideme View Post
    But I see one problem you might have with spraying your project. If it is all assembled, and the holes are blind, you are going to get a lot of "blowback" when trying to spray into them. Even at the lowest pressures, it is going to be hard to lay a nice coat down in there.
    Can you spray your finish on the rack itself before final assembly? I believe that way you will get a much better finish on the insides.
    Thanks for the comment, Tony. Unfortunately, the racks are fully assembled. With all of the glue areas, I don't see how I could have pre-finished any of these. Nonetheless, I'm hoping even with blowback I'll get a smoother finish than trying to sloppily squeeze my hands back in there. It got very messy very quickly.

Thanks,
    -dan

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    tony has some good points,, can yu leave the back of it off? and then yu could possibly spray from both sides... but david uses a lot of tung oil for his stuff, which can be applied by rag rather than spraying..
    Yeah, I believe David often uses several coats of tung oil and then applies a poly or something else as a final coat. He's also a master woodworker with jedi experience and technique.

I could have finished the inside of the honeycomb portions before attaching the back, but then I'd still have to wiggle my hands through the openings to finish the inside of the backing...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Birnbaum View Post
    Thank you Tod and others for the responses... I was also looking at this porter cable gravity sprayer since it received a ton of great reviews online.

I suppose my next newbie question is what type of air compressor / pump do I use to power it?
    check it out at there web page for the cfm requirements and use that info for your compressor choice..