Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a little design help

Need a little design help

OK first of all please forgive me for being long winded - that's just the way I am - sorry
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year - I ripped out a brick woodstove hearth and completely rebuild the entire inside thing and installed a new woodstove.

I did not add a mantle cause I wanted to monitor how much heat was being cast off the back of the woodstove. Trust me - I am 5 times safer than code. So in fact there is very little heat against the wall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW - I am planning on adding a mantle.

OK this is the NICE one. I am going to make a mantle - to go over the new woodstove. It is going to be Oak - not solid - but it will look solid.

The mantle will be about 68 inches long by 12 inshes high by about 10 inches deep.

In the face of the mantle will be the picture previews below. The engraving will be 24 inches wide x 12 inches tall - and cut 1-3/4 inches deep into the face of the mantle.

On either side will be something - I don't yet know what that something will be. Most likely some bible verses.

Right now I have I Cor 10:14-17

OK - suggestions on bible versus? Remember - this is a mantle above the wood stove.

I included a pic of the woodstove just to make ya see what I am talkin about. Ohh and the ugly trim above the stove on the wall is coming down.

I am also thinking of adding some crown aroung the top of the mantle - like you sometimes see around the top of a cabinet.

IDEAS? COMENTS? SUGGESTIONS?

PLEASE - don't worry about hurting my feelings - I need HONEST thoughts and comments end opinions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails before mantle.jpg   Isometric view.jpg   Plan view.jpg   preview full jpg.jpg   preview full plan jpg.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    On either side will be something - I don't yet know what that something will be. Most likely some bible verses.

PLEASE - don't worry about hurting my feelings - I need HONEST thoughts and comments end opinions
    Leo,

I would think that any *words* you put up would get old pretty quick. I have a colleague who has some pithy sayings up on her walls in her office. Sure they were fun the first time, and maybe the second, but after months and now years they just seem silly. I don't think even the greatest of poets could bear such constant scrutiny. Take Dante, for instance:

"My son!" He said, "Whoever in this train
    Pauses a moment, must stand a hundred years
    Forbidden to brush off the burning rain!"

Yes, OK, words to live by, a remaking of Horace's Carpe Diem theme, but to look at them day after day after day? And since we're on Horace, what if it read

"Nunc Est Bibendum!" Yes, well, even in a bar, that might get old...

And I love Horace! Same goes for other themes: Lao-Tzu, Buddha, Baron Samedi even... no matter how cool it seems now, they'd all get pretty old...

For me, I tend to go with the purely pictorial. I can put up with a good image forever...

Thanks,

Bill

My first thought was to go with pictorials - something like woodsy sort of stuff. Amimals - birds, etc.

Thanks for the reply Bill - I though this was going to die in obscurity.

Leo -- just some thoughts
    • Don't abandon the Bible verses, they been around for 2000 years and will last forever
    • But, Maybe don't put them in the mantle. Make the mantle plain.
    • Then, put your bible verses and graphics on a separate piece and work them in with the stove and mantle.

If you get tired of the arrangement or want to relocate your plaques you can.

Tony

Tony, BCE '75

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post
    Leo -- just some thoughts
    • Don't abandon the Bible verses, they been around for 2000 years and will last forever
    • But, Maybe don't put them in the mantle. Make the mantle plain.
    • Then, put your bible verses and graphics on a separate piece and work them in with the stove and mantle.

If you get tired of the arrangement or want to relocate your plaques you can.

Tony

That's a nice idea - what do you think about the 3D engravig of the Last Supper - into the mantle.

i only have one question leo, where do you plan on putting this mantle? behind the smoke pipe, or above it?
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    ...what do you think about the 3D engravig of the Last Supper - into the mantle.
    Do you plan to ever sell the house?

Potential buyers may - or may not - like such a permanent 'theme.'
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Here in Japan, in older homes, they have an alcove in the living room, and they hang scrolls with art work on them in the alcove, they change these depending on the season, and some families will have quite a collection of these, which some of them do not get shown often, only with the birth of a child, a wedding or some such occasion.

Maybe you could do something similar with various quotes, from various sources, frame each one, and then you could change them around as you please.

Just a thought
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Not gunna sell - but that is a good point - the religeous theme might not be the fancy of everyone. Someday - I suppose - the house will be sold.

The mantle will be above the stovepipe.

The way I did the install - every pipe is double wall and very little heat ever reaches the wall.

it's not so much that leo, but from the pic, it looks like the stovepipe would be blocking the view, or you would be craning your neck up to take a look at what's up there. were it me, i would put one or two on each side of the wall behind the stove.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking