Mystery Wood Mini-Haul

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Got a package yesterday from someone signed "FWW Member". ;) Inside the box was this:

Mystery Wood 2 - 800.jpg

The note didn't give much of a clue as to what type of wood it is, or who it was from. It just said this person wanted to see what I might make from some of this wood. I was curious about the wood and my mystery benefactor, so after doing a bit of sleuthing, I figure it was Col. Mustard, in the Library, with the Candlestick. :rofl:

I tried turning one of the pieces last night, and the pith was too soft for the spur center to get a purchase on. I'll try drying it a bit and seeing if I can get things hardened up a bit. Looks like real pretty wood. ;)

Well, after you're able to get a grip on your situation, you'll have to show us the candlestick that has been cleverly hidden in that fake log. :rofl:

Glad to see your box of goodies - I'm sure you'll have quite a few interesting things to share with us from it. :thumb:

Yeh family it was me that sent the box. Jim you were very close with your guess. The wood is from a peach tree. I have a little left that I am going to try on the old lathe again that I got from my wife grandfather. The lathe is made on a 1 1/2" sq. tube so it doesn't weight much and it tenders to chatter when cutting. I need to sharpen the tools and see if that helps also. I also need to get a parting tool. Hopefully Vaughn will post some pics of what he has turned.

Yeppers, Rex snuck this one right by home plate. :D I had pretty much figured out who sent it and what kind of wood it is by the time Rex sent me a PM yesterday 'fessing up to the stealth wood gift. I got the ends of the logs sealed last night, since they were starting to check a little bit. Hopefully this coming week I can play with some of the peach and see what's hiding inside. ;)

Thanks a bunch Rex, and now the pressure's on me to make something nice out of it. :p